Logo

Omc tilt motor problem

kelly999

"Hello, have read one of the

"Hello, have read one of the long threads on this problem and it was very helpful. In any case last year had intermittent tilt problem as took several trys to raise stern sometimes. This spring I was getting the boat ready for summer and was able to raise the tilt once or twice and then nothing. A friend and myself have determined that there is 12 volts going into the tilt motor. I have since pulled the tilt motor and found that the shaft end with the cutaway was twisted and cracked down from the top about a quater inch. So the shaft with the armature is no good and will have to find an armature or whole tilt motor. But before I install a new motor I would like to know what caused the motor's shaft to twist and crack. I pulled the quadrant gear off and raised the drive. I wanted to see if the worm gear would turn. I was able to turn it from the slotted end inside the boat clockwise but wasn't able to turn it freely counterclockwise from inside the boat or so I think. It was difficult to do that test as it is hard to get at and to even see what you're doing. Is it possible that the clutch pack would be binding some how? I haven't taken the cover off but have sucked out most of old oil and put new oil in. I have read the posts about putting grease in the clutch housing so should I pull the clutch cover off and check it out before I install a new motor? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks."

take off the cover.remove the

take off the cover.remove the clutch pack.reseal kits are available not to expensive.soak the clutch pack overnight in the most powerfull cleaner you can get your hands on.blow it dry than soak it in 30 weight oil for A hour or 2.reassemble and pack it real real good in greese.than go back inside the boat.you have the tilt motor out check the hammerblow coupler.it still good?install the motor.clean all connections and grounds.all of them.good luck post what happens.

almost forgot.there are 2 gree

almost forgot.there are 2 greese zerks under the rubber bumpers.just pry them gently off.and when your under there greese the steering gear.

"I appreciate your response.

"I appreciate your response. After some inquiries at my local marine shop, I'm a little confused. I talked to a guy with 30yrs experience in the boating industry and he has only had the tilt clutch housing apart two times on the omc. He said you don't want to pull that apart at all unless you're specifically having a problem with that unit. He said you need a special press to take the clutch apart etc. Very detailed process by the sounds of it. Can you take the clutch pack off the shaft to soak it in oil? What exactly and how exactly do you take it apart? From what I have read on this forum it seems like a fairly easy process? Not sure I want to tackle it unless it is absolutely necessary. Please elaborate? thanks very much.

Kelly"

"Im having the same problem. M

"Im having the same problem. My tilt worked intermitantly. Then one day while boating it just didnt work anymore. WE have to dissasemble the gear plate and raise it manually. I took the cover off, tried it. Nothing moved inside. I took out the gears and clutch. Tried it again. And nothing moved still. The motor still runs. But Im not sure what else to do. I thought of just taking it apart and trying to find whats wrong blindly. But I hate to have it out of the water. ANy ideas !!!!!"

"As you read in my original po

"As you read in my original post, my armature shaft in the tilt motor was split and I also found out later that I believe the end of my worm gear shaft is slightly damaged as well like it was pounded or something. Anyway I ended up replacing my tilt motor with a new one and we finally had the boat out for about 6 days straight and did not have any problems. I am very careful in how I am lowering it down now and not letting it slam into the all down position as I was informed by a veteran boat guy that this can cause some damage. I did not end up taking any of the clutch pack apart. Double check to see if your motor is still good. Make sure your battery is 100 percent charged. Hope some of this helps."

"I'm the new owner of a &#

"I'm the new owner of a '84 SRV210 with a 350 OMC and I'm having a similar problem. I can't get the drive to go down. My trim works fine, solenoid clicks when I hit tilt and I have brand new batteries. Are the tilt and trim controlled by different motors? What could my problem be?"

"I'm not familiar with you

"I'm not familiar with your 84 model but my old 76 has a seperate motor for the tilt which is located behind the engine on the transom, my trim for the engine is a seperate system. Check to see if you have power going into to your tilt motor when you hit the switch. If you do then you may have a problem with your tilt motor."

"I have an '85 cuddy with

"I have an '85 cuddy with 800 OMC.
The tilt motor is notorious for allowing water into the motor armature section, causing it to malfunction.
It is not too complicated to disassemble and can be done but is a bit tedious.
When you get the unit apart, you will probably solve most problems with a good cleaning and possibly replacement of the brushes.
To assure that you don't have future water in the motor problems, be sure to put a good seal between tilt motor and bulkhead. I also recommend painting the motor whjile it is out, to seal it's housing. I use 2 part epoxy paint."

Is there an easy way to remove

Is there an easy way to remove the motor? I can barely reach it sticking my arm under the engine.

"I am also haveing same proble

"I am also haveing same problem. when switch is pressed up or down the drive will clunk in wich ever direction about a half inch and that is it. motor spins everything fine when quadrent gear is off, but once put back on only moves that half inch. I read in the clymer manual that the quadrent gear with part# 313223 will cause this to happen. Is this true and does anyone know why. any input is greatly appreciated. P.S. 1981 omc 800 stringer."

"I wouldnt worry about the 313

"I wouldnt worry about the 313223
heres what to do:\
1. CLEAN all battery terminals, disassemble and clean out 50A fuse barrels of any corrosion, clean terminals at relays with sandpaper, ALSO clean the flat side of the nut for each terminal by wiping it back and forth on the sandpaper until shiny.
2. CHECK that the drive pivot bearings are free by removing quadrant and lifting drive by hand.
3. MAKE SURE there is a gasket (shim) under the tilt clutch housing cover. I always put 2 gaskets...they actually are shims, not gaskets...the oring seals the cover....too few shims and the cover will clamp the clutch tight
4. If none of the above solves it, might be time for a new motor....even a dying motor will work fine under zero load"

"Last weekend I had my Sterndr

"Last weekend I had my Sterndrive get stuck down while the boat was in the water. I had to trailer the boat and drag it up the launch ramp in order to remove the clutch and raise the stern manually. Unfortunately my trailer sits very low and you can imagine the sound that it made while it created a new groove in the concrete. The tilt motor engages but simply spins at a very high pitch. Anyone have any ideas what could be the issue. Your comments will be appreciated.
1985 Glastron SSV177
http://www.classicglastron.com/85gl-ssv176-177.html"

Back