Logo

Should i get rid of my b54 Evinrude 75 hp motor

itsmatman

So i had a guy look at my 1954

So i had a guy look at my 1954 Evinrude 7.5hp motor and he said that the compression is way off and that i need to have the motor re-built. He then said i would most likely not find the parts because it is so old and to sale it because it would cost me more money to fix it then to just get a newer motor! Is this right or should i try to fix it or have it fixed? thanks mat!

"It may just be a blown head g

"It may just be a blown head gasket----the original head gaskets were not the most robust-----easy to check , just 10 bolts."

Is likely in stock at a "

Is likely in stock at a " good " dealer.At any rate they are easy to get---I think I have a couple on hand for my own motors.

I just took of the head gasket

I just took of the head gasket and you are right it sucks! i deff. need a new one i will try and find one here in town! Is there anything else i should look at?

"Hey Mat,
Check the cylinder

"Hey Mat,
Check the cylinder walls while you have the head off. If there are deep scratches etc you might be looking at a rebuild, or a cylinder hone at least. You can also remove built up carbon on the head while you're at it. If you are reasonably confident the head gasket is the problem, then you can purchase one cheaply ($8.95 + tax and shipping) online. I don't see the part at marineengine.com, but you could email me (click on my name for my email address) and I could give you a couple links where you could purchase the parts.
Either way, good luck. That would be a good little motor if you get it running properly."

thanks will do! there is not a

thanks will do! there is not any scratches or anything like that on the cylinder walls amazingly enough. i would love to get this motor running so thanks!

Don't bother asking the &#

Don't bother asking the " guy " to help you anymore.If he did not want to check then head gasket then I am not sure on his qualifications.At any rate it would be a good idea to check the ignition coils for cracks and if you get it running change the waterpump impeller.

Back