Logo

DT225 EFI cuts off

firemanjoe789

"I have a 1997 DT225 that idle

"I have a 1997 DT225 that idles / rev's great in the yard on the hose. Tried to take the boat out yesterday and just about the time I got on plane, around 4,000 RPM, it suddenly bogged down to around 2,000 ( was too busy trying to avoid traffic in crowded ICW to pay real close attention) and cut off. When I tried to start it back up it acted like the batteries were very weak. The batteries are new and fully charged. It would kind of crank a revolution, pause and crank, pause etc. I let it sit for about 15 minutes while waiting on anchor for TOW-Boat to show up and when it finally did crank it had a rough idle around 1,000 RPM. I turned it back off b/c it didn't sound right to me. when I got it home, I hooked the hose up and it cranked normally but backfired right away and fired right up. So I am guessing it's a fuel delivery problem but have no idea how to find out on an EFI motor. The lower unit was just re-sealed for a propshaft leak and the mechanic said everything looked good. It has a good "pee" stream and the thermostat was open, it was dumping water out. I never got a water flow alarm on the guages. Sorry for the long post but i am desperate to get out fishing again and don't want to blow all my gas $$ at the shop.

Thanks - Joe"

"The batteries were just out a

"The batteries were just out a couple of days before this and charged, connections are spotless and I replaced the ground jumper as well. The batteries are less than 1 year old, I'm going to put a load tester on them next and run them on a computerized charger. Would that be enough to cause it to stall out like it did ? BTW they are holding at 12.29 V. Do the EFI motors take a bigger battery, there was originally a carbed motor on this boat?"

"It is EFI. I charged it for

"It is EFI. I charged it for about 12 Hours on the 2Amp setting and they are now at 12.6 after sitting for 12+ hours. with it running at idle around 700 RPM I am getting 12.8V , at 2,000 RPM I am getting 13+, do these sound right ? I also remembered that i was going to charge them while they were out but never got around to it. OOPS. That explains why they were so low. Way too much working, not enough play. Does Suzuki recommend a minimum size / Amperage battery for the EFI motors ?? Thanks again for your help. I'm hoping it will all run smoothly on Friday, hate to call the towboat again LOL, at least I have a membership so it's free."

"Got a chance to check the bat

"Got a chance to check the batteries (2) tonight they are West Marine, 650MCA starting batteries, 90 minute reserve, group 24 size. I am running the battery switch on "both" all of the time so am I correct in assuming 1300 MCA's ? These batteries are just over a year old, they were bought as quickie replacements when my Dad was going to sell the boat and I haven't decided 100% I am going to keep it so i really don't want to drop a couple hundred bucks on new batteries if I don't have to. I know ideally I would have a bigger starting battery and a deep cycle for the "house" battery but that's only if I keep it down the road."

"That's the plan. Guess I&

"That's the plan. Guess I'll find out Friday if it works or not, I've gotta raise the motor up a hole or two in the mean time as well, good thing I have access to an Heavy Duty overhead chain hoist :). I'll be back with more questions if it dosen't work. Thanks - Joe"

"Unfortunately not, the boat h

"Unfortunately not, the boat hasn't been in the water since. Seems like my days off are all like today - severe thunderstorm warnings. I did notice that 1 battery is leaking down to around 12.6V and the other is leaking down to 12.3 so I am hopeful that was the issue. I have a computerized charger with a de-sulfurization cycle working on the lower battery now. I've got family in from out of town to entertain this week so I'll let you know what happens when I get back out."

"Update - Still haven't ha

"Update - Still haven't had a chance to get a good run on the boat but I did discover a bad ignition coil on the #2 Cylinder. Now if the cross member for my trailer will ever come in I'll go test the repairs out. Sounds great in the yard nice and smooth ....... we'll see, wish me luck. LOL
vacation time is coming ........ I hope this works."

"Well I finally got the cross

"Well I finally got the cross members for my trailer today, 6 weeks later. Once I get them on I'll get back to the ramp and see how it goes. This definitely hasn't been my year boating wise."

"And as a side note - the batt

"And as a side note - the batteries are in the garage on the computerized trickle charger as we speak, there'll be no chance of a dead battery next trip."

Back