Logo

Rectifier installation on 1972 100hp Johnson

qhn

Regular Contributor
"Starting off, many thanks to

"Starting off, many thanks to JWBMARINE,IBMFISHN,IKIA and many other site users, BUT ESPECIALLY JOE REEVES. If you search Johnson outboard problems in your web brownser, you will find Joe Reeves going back to many years of helping boaters for free. I have learned much from this site and doing everything myself on my own motor. These folks help make it so affordable to boat fishing.
Anyways, I am back with a question:
I took out my motor's rectifier, the red wire insulator was frayed and made contact with the body of the rectifier. The rectifier is cracked. I am buying a new rectifier, but can't find in the manual how to install its wires. This is a 3 leads round rectifier p/n 18-5708. I don't want to risk installing the same way the old one came off because it could have been wrong. Please help me with guidance as which leads go where? There are so many wires up and down on the panel.
Again, thank you very much to Joe Reeves and many other users for your time and support.
Q."

"If the new rectifier has a Ye

"If the new rectifier has a Yellow/Gray wire, connect it to the stator's Yellow/Gray wire.

If the new rectifier has two plain Yellow wires, it makes no difference which of the yellow rectifier wires attach to the stator yellow wires.

There is a red wire on the electrical terminal strip that will read 12 volts. The rectifier's Red wire attaches to that red wire on the electrical terminal strip.

Make sure that the battery is hooked up properly. If it should be hooked up backwards (reverse polarity), the rectifier will blow immediately."

Back