Logo

Housing seal replacement

S

Scott Sweebe

"I have a '74 25 hp evinru

"I have a '74 25 hp evinrude that needs the seal between the bottom of the motor housing and the top of the lower unit. I found a seal available but am unsure just how far I need to tear down the motor to install this seal. It looks like a 1 piece seal which looks to be a little tough to install. A 2 piece seal would be a cinch but I don't think this is the case here.
Can anyone tell me what needs to be dismantled and just how far I have to go? I can figure it out I'm sure, but I am betting someone can simplify this for me a bit.
Thanks for any help with this."

"I assume that you're spea

"I assume that you're speaking of the gasket that the powerhead sits upon.

You must remove the vertical throttle lever on the port side of the engine and the vertical shift lockout lever on the starboard side. Disconnect the incoming fuel line and any obvious wires that may be leading to a retaining location.
All that will be left is the powerhead retaining bolts/nuts/screws, whatever your engine uses.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

It is called the housing to co

It is called the housing to cover seal in the evinrude parts breakdown part #0308292. It seems that it is really an isolation gasket that the lower housing for the motor cover sits on to ab- sorb vibration. The lower housing sits on this seal which in turn sits on the very top of the lower unit. I believe it is a separate seal and not the powerhead to lower unit seal.
Thanks for the previous response and any further help.
Scott

Back