Logo

What manual do I buy

bman410

I have a 75hp mariner serial#0

I have a 75hp mariner serial#0B174155.Its a 2-stroke. I was told that it is a 4 cylinder but on the engine it says 3 cylinder. I just need the part number for the repair manual. Thanks to all and by the way this is a great site!!!!

"Brae, think I just had some b

"Brae, think I just had some bad list information - shows on my serial data as a 4 cylinder, but the service manual confirms a 3 for that serial..."

"86 by the serial, but could j

"86 by the serial, but could just as easily call it an 87 if it was sold that year - at least that's what Merc would have done.

They went to the alpha-numeric serial for 2 reasons. First off to indicate part of the "new line" which they began to introduce during the 85 model year.

Secondly, so unlike other makers, they would never have "last year's model" in stock.

If the motor was produced in say 1986 with a serial of 0A123456, but it didn't sell by years end, then it automatically became an 87 model. Even if it sat for 2 years unsold, it would be sold as a "new" 1988 model.

The dealers loved it - they didn't have to discount a motor because it was "non-current". It didn't matter to Merc whether the warranty coverage started in 85 86 etc and since all the models of the same horsepower, during the same production run over a number of years were either absolutely identical, parts wise, or simply had a part replaced with the "new part number" what did it really matter what year you called it...."

ok thanks alot Mr. Lamb....oh

ok thanks alot Mr. Lamb....oh how do I check compression on this. I am sitting here with the compression tool in hand but I dont no how to disconnect the ignition coil so it doesnt get damaged...I am a newbie to this. I wanted to check this before I take it to the shop because it wont stay started.

pull the safety switch and cra

pull the safety switch and crank it with the key. Or leave switch off and jump starter relay

Back