Logo

Old motor need help

sparkie

can anyone tell me anything on

can anyone tell me anything on this motor evinrude sportwin 4421-04054 year and HP would be nice it is a coworkers tring to help him out

Hi...As best I can tell...Its

Hi...As best I can tell...Its a 1947 3.3 Evinrude...! Now thats getting back there...! Does it still run..??

"That's a nice little moto

"That's a nice little motor there. I have the same one. Although mine is a 1948 model 4423, it is absolutely identical.
One kinda cool thing about this motor is that while most other outboards of its day used a 16:1 fuel/oil ratio it uses a 24:1 ratio. Unless it's worn off, you will see that listed under the fuel cap cover.
I've only had mine for about a year and a half, but have used it several times and it hasn't let me down. One of the nicest running motors I've owned, and it's 60 years old. As a matter of fact, I just had it running in a barrel yesterday getting it ready for fishing tomorrow (if it doesn't rain).
Does this look familiar?
http://members.shaw.ca/w.rowlinson/"

"I have a 1987 2.5 HP Evinrude

"I have a 1987 2.5 HP Evinrude that I just bought.
I ran it in a tank yesterday and it seemed to overheat. The motor quit after about 2 or 3 minutes of running and then it seemed much harder to pull the starter rope (I was not trying to start, just see if it was frozen). After about 2 hours I pulled the rope again, and it seemed to be back to normal, but I did not start it.

The plate under the top got really hot, enough to sizzle water that I threw on to it. Unfortunately at that time I did not know where the water outlet was to check for output.

I do now and will re-run it tonight to see what I get out. I was told the water should spit out and not have a direct stream. Is that correct?

I had the water about 3 to 4 inches above the inlet and the water in the tank was quite turbulent when it was running, could that have kept the water cooling from working properly?

If I don't get water output tonight, I will shut down immediately and plan on changing the impeller

Any other suggestions or comments.
Thanks Bassman"

"I wouldn't even think of

"I wouldn't even think of starting this motor until I at least inspected the water pump/impeller, and check for blockage in the intake areas. The reason the motor was hard to pull was that it overheated and there was metal expansion that caused the pistons to stick in the cylinders.
Hopefully there was no (or at least very little) damage done.
I assume the person you purchased the motor from hasn't used it for a while and either the impeller has dried out, or there is a blockage somewhere in the cooling system (bugs, debris).
I hope I don't sound too negative, but the motor is likely in need of a new impeller anyways, and it's best to be safe.
Another thing is to make sure that you are using a proper fuel/oil mixture. I don't know that particular motor well but assume it needs a minimum of 50:1 ratio using TCW-3 oil.
Good luck"

Back