Logo

76 Johnson 115 struggles to start

A

Aaron K

"First, I'd like to say th

"First, I'd like to say thanks to all the people offering advice. This is a great site.

My '76 115hp Johnson has a very hard time starting. It cranks very, very slowly (1 crank every 2-3 seconds) for a while. The wires get very hot and eventually the engine starts cranking normally and will start, but this can take minutes. Does this sound like a failing starter? Should I check the wires or something else first? The battery is new (1 year old, stored on wood shelf for winter and charged regularly). Thanks
Aaron"

"HI, MY 83 JOHNSON 150 DOES TH

"HI, MY 83 JOHNSON 150 DOES THE EXACT SAME THING, AT FIRST IT SEEMS LIKE IT WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO START, THEN IT STARTS CRANKING QUICKER AND START RIGHT UP, I CHANGED THE BATTERY AND HAD NO CHANGE WHAT SO EVER, DID THE EXACT SAME THING, I ATTRIBUTED IT TO THE HIGH COMPRESSION OF A GOOD SOLID ENGINE, I'VE HAD IT 15 YEARS AND ALWAYS DID THE SAMETHING BUT ALWALYS STARTED. GOOD LUCK, BOB"

The ignition system does not w

The ignition system does not work if the starter does not turn it over at a good pace---it simply does not. You need to check the wires ( they may look good but can be bad inside the covering ) Check and see if the starter will spin the motor over with a set of jumpers. If not the syarter may simply need cleaning and brushes. If you are hoping it will magically fix itself then you may end up HAVING TO BUY A NEW STARTER.

"Remove all cables "all&#3

"Remove all cables "all" related to the starting system. Clean the connections/ end terminals and the components they connect to thoroughly, then reinstall and tighten with a wrench or pliers... not your fingers if wing nuts might be encountered.

Hot cables indicate loose connections, tight but dirty connections, or internally flawed cables.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Thanks for the suggestions guy

Thanks for the suggestions guys; you've given me a great place to start. I will check those things out this weekend.

Back