Logo

TOO SLOW WRONG PROP

bobhoss423

"HELLO, I HAVE A 12FT ALUMINU

"HELLO, I HAVE A 12FT ALUMINUM WITH A 6HP EVINRUDE FISHERMAN 1971, JUST PURCHASED, HAS 2 BLDE PROP WITH UNKNOWN PITCH, ENGINE IS VERY HIGH AND FREE REVVING IN NEUTRAL HOWVER WHEN ON BOAT UNER LOAD IT SEEMS BOGGED DOWN NEVER REACHING MAX RPM RANGE, BOAT DOES NOT REACH A PLANE REGARDLESS OF TILT ON MOTOR, I KNOW ITS NOT A FAST BOAT BUT IT SHOULD GET OUT OF ITS OWN WAY??? OR MAYBE NOT? MAX HP ON BOAT IS A 10HP. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS BOB}"

If the motor has been sitting

If the motor has been sitting for a long time the carb could be gummed up. What do you mean the engine is very high? The anti-cavitation plate should be close to even with the bottom of the boat.

"BY REVVING VERY HIGH I MEAN I

"BY REVVING VERY HIGH I MEAN IT SEAM TO BE RUNNING VERY WELL AND REACHING WHAT SEAM TO BE MAX RPM QUICKLY, BUT WHEN PUT IN FORWARD, ALTHOUGH IT STILL RUNS GREAT, IT NEVER SEEMS TO SOUND AS THOUGH IT IS UNDER FULL THROTTLE, SEEMS TO BE PUSHING THE BOAT?? IT NEVER REACHES ANY KIND OF A PLANE. DO YOU THINK A 6HP SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE A 12FT ALUMINUM ACTUALLY PLANE?? I WILL CHECK THE ANTI-CAVATATION PLATE ALIGNMENT ISSUE, I THINK IT IS GOOD BE REALLY NEVER THOUGHT TO CHECK IT OUT. THANNKS FOR YOUR HELP."

These motors suffer from bad i

These motors suffer from bad ignition coils.You MUST pull the flywheel to check. Any motor will rev up in nuetral as there is no load.These motors will run on one cylinder and it is up to you to check for that.Check too see if you have spark at each cylinder that will jump a gap of 1/4" or better.This is all too common.

"GOOD POINT, I SEE THAT THESE

"GOOD POINT, I SEE THAT THESE COILS ARE QUITE RARE TO ACQUIRE? MUST BE EXPENSIVE I BET, I'LL CHECK FOR SPARK, BUT IT SURE RUNS WELL IF IT'S RUNNING ON ONLY 1 CYLINDER. IF THERE IS SPARK I'LL CHANGE THE PLUGS, WHICH I HAVE NOT DONE, AND GIVE HER ANOTHER GO. DO YOU FELL THAT A 1971 6HP SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET A 12FT ALUMINUM UP ON PLANE?? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP"

These coils are NOT RARE at al

These coils are NOT RARE at all---- they are in stock everywhere and cheap too!!!!

"THANKS AGAIN, I'M QUITE N

"THANKS AGAIN, I'M QUITE NEW TO THE 70'S SMALL OUTBOARD SCENE, DO I NEED A FLYWHEEL PULLER OR IS THERE ANOTHER WAY TO GET IT OFF, ALSO CAN'T I CHECK FOR SPARK AT THE PLUG. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP"

Laying the plug on the block i

Laying the plug on the block is a waste of time -----It may show spark but it is not an indication of a good system----You need to establish a gap of 1/4" ---then if it jumps that you have " spark "

"I had a similar problem with

"I had a similar problem with my boat. Out of water, engine ran great, in water it labored at full throttle and would never get my boat on plane. The problem for me was actually a bad plug wire. After fixing the one wire, the boat gets on plane quickly. One bad connection can make a huge difference."

Back