Logo

Crack in my block

outsideguy

"I have a, maybe my ignorance

"I have a, maybe my ignorance but, question. I have a mercruiser 305 early 80's. Has a 6in crack in block.
Can I use an automotive GM 305 block, heads from current marine engine would be reused?
Everything would be switch of as current engine runs perfect.
I know marine and automotive parts are totally different creations, but I am unsure of engine blocks.

Any help is much appreciated."

"Useing an automotive block is

"Useing an automotive block is just 1 option you have! The GM 305/350, is a very common engine. I'm sure someone close to you is trying to sell a Mecruiser 260 HP, 350 motor. Check your local Craig list. Another opton is a nice rebuilt, many on Ebay. The season is already here, you might want to find a complete drop in and GO!!
Chris"

I agree with Chris.
Retire th

I agree with Chris.
Retire the old 305 and go with a 350 or a 383. They are all the same block and weight.
Accessories will all fit fine.
More power=NICE!

Rod

"Check the condition of your t

"Check the condition of your transom, stringers and engine mounts--wood rot--before buying an engine; you may want to change your mind."

"Guy, you are such a party poo

"Guy, you are such a party pooper, bringing up that old wood rot thing, the trouble is you are dead right.

You know who"

You could probably find rebuil

You could probably find rebuilt short blocks pretty cheap (< $1000?). Make sure you find one with a 4 bolt main. You will probably want to have a marine cam installed as well. Other than that everything should bolt up. There are a lot of rebuilders find one close to home.

Back