Logo

Marine 43 to Auto 57 swap

tvoelker

"I'm just curious about di

"I'm just curious about differences between marine and automotive engines, if there are any and what they are. Here's my story.
Several years ago we purchased an '89 Beretta with a 4.3 and OMC Cobra drive. The next winter it didn't get drained and cracked everything (block, heads, exhaust manifolds). We figured since we didn't have any of the parts to start with anyway we'd switch over to a 5.7. Three engines later (first one had a problem with the machine shop, second one cracked from my co-owner not draining the block all the way (different co-owner, I'm doing all the winterizing from now on) and the third and most recent, we bought an '89 Chevy truck, the owner claimed the engine had been rebuilt, don't know for sure, but it did run good, had good oil pressure, and had been running for a few months before the tranny quit. We set it in and everything looked great. We ran about 10 or 12 miles @ 25mph w/ no problem then stopped and noticed a drop in oil psi. Headed back and just lost more psi and more power along the way. At home the engine runs w/ no knocking but no oil psi either. None of these engines have run long enough to get all the bugs worked out and I'm wondering if need a marine engine or if it's just bad luck. I know the first two were oversights, but I'm sick of working on this thing all the time and I'm ready to do this right (if that's possible on a small budget) We have an automotive points dist. in it which doesn't seem to work with the ESA (sometimes it just dies and sometimes it does nothing. Are marine blocks 4-bolt? Do marine dist. have different weights for advance? Do I need a marine cam? It seems as if the boat should have more power. Thanks for any help you guys could give me."

marine cam is quite different

marine cam is quite different than car.....definitely a boat with a car cam will be a dog. and the overlap of valve opening on a smog motor can cause hydrolocking on a boat with wet exhaust. Distributor advance curve also quite different. ... the distributor being automotive is also a death wish- it doesnt have spark arresting.

"Thanks for the info, it's

"Thanks for the info, it's nice to know that much. I was wondering if the blocks or heads themselves have any differences. Can I go ahead and use the automotive block or not? Anyone know of any salvage yards to find a distributor or entire engine?"

"block and heads basically the

"block and heads basically the same for 1989 vintage boats. I would probably change the head gaskets from stock steel to a nice composite with stainless fire rings, like FelPro, and that's a must if running in salt water"

Back