Logo

Power to weight ratio

dirtstiff14h

i have a 15ft Lowe prowler pro

i have a 15ft Lowe prowler pro with front and rear casting decks. The boat is rated for 40hp max but has a 35 seahorse standard shaft. What does the motor weigh and wold a 180 pound 40 horse be better adding more weight and only 5 more horses?

"Not much of hp increase. Star

"Not much of hp increase. Start to try to find the optimum propeller pitch. 5000-5500 rpm ar WOT.
By the way, the max rating has always a safety factor and can be exceeded somewhat if necessary (I'm using a 70hp on a 50hp rated boat).
Robert"

so would it be worth keeping t

so would it be worth keeping the 35 seahorse and spending the $600 to fix the lower unit or install the VRO 40 i already purchased. Im wondering if the 50+/- pound difference is worth adding the 5 extra horses.

"If you already have the 40hp,

"If you already have the 40hp, why not use it?
You get 14% hp increase, with a weight increase of 5-10% (total boat weight?). Performance should be at least as good as before.
I can't tell if it is worth spending $600 on the old motor. Depends on the value after it is done.
Robert"

Thanx for the replies Robert.

Thanx for the replies Robert. I really appreciate in insight. I bought the 40 already and it looks brand new inside and out from an older gentleman. My only conscern was the size difference from the 35 to the 40. The boat is rated for 40 max but being a small boat and a large guy i wasnt wanting to decrease my max weight rating with the same or lesser performance. The 35 is worth fixing the lower unit on it cause it too purrs like a kitten but for $400 more i got a complete turn key engine. Im gonna go ahead and run the 40 and can always add a speed prop if in need more but i figure 25-30mph in a 15ft flatbottom LOWE is sufficient. So if anyone is interested i have 1981 35 seahorse with cables/controls and a brand new Cabelas brand stainless steel prop for sale. The lower unit needs rebuilt but the drive shafts are still good and reusable(as quoted from Nate and Jeff and Lawsons Landing at Dillons Beach CA).

Back