Logo

5 Years

troym

Advanced Contributor
"...is the average life expect

"...is the average life expectancy of a Group 27 dual purpose marine battery from West Marine. Glad I have two.

Everything else, after the longest idle period since I've owned the boat, worked great.

One thing I did fix, aside from the routine PMs, before putting her in the water was to replace the mounting bracket for the hydraulic pump. Seems a number of manufacturers mount the pump on a horizontal surface instead of a vertical surface, like the transom. Having it mounted horizontally, especially in the case of my Searay, didn't allow any water to run off from underneath it, and the thing corroded catastrophically. It's not the easiest thing to get to, can barely see it, let alone touch it.
My advise is to take a look at how yours is mounted and move it to the tansom, or at least lift it up a bit, if there's room, before it rusts to oblivion... might save you $100 in a few years."

"Troy;
Good to know you are u

"Troy;
Good to know you are up and running!
I agree with your point on the trim pump mount frame.
Mine is bolted down to the floor with carpet underneath it, and it is corroding badly.
I like your idea of blocking it up off the floor a little; I am going to give that a try this year.
Anyone else would be well advised to do something similar.

Good idea!

Rod"

You can buy a stainless steel

You can buy a stainless steel frame. Or try coating the lower 1/3 w/some truck bed liner spray. I sprayed the floors in the engine compartment w/it due to its durability.

"I would imagine it would have

"I would imagine it would have to be clean and free of grease or oil, same as any other coating. My experience with that stuff in bed of my truck is that places where I did a decent job scuffing the surface of the factory paint, the liner adhered to it niclely. Other places... not so much. So if you're going over top of an existing coating, give it a good sanding."

Rod:

Troy is right; shiney

Rod:

Troy is right; shiney surfaces need scuffed and degreased. I even coated my steel tool box in/out that I carry on the boat. A bright sunny day makes it cure fast. There are different brands; check out any samples. Don't remember what I used. I sprayed it right over coarse finished epoxy/filler and it hasn't scuffed yet.

Back