Logo

Help with steering

jeff6898

Contributing Member
I have a 1979 85hp evinrude on

I have a 1979 85hp evinrude on a 1981 16' fish/ski boat. WHen going straight the motor is turned. WHen making a turn the motor is perfectly straight instead of the other way around. Anyway to fix this?

"Are you actually saying that

"Are you actually saying that the engine is straight in line with the boat BUT the boat is in a turn condition, OR are you saying that the steering wheel is not centered? What you are saying is a first with me, and quite confusing."

Yes when in a turn the engine

Yes when in a turn the engine is straight in line with the boat and when going straight the engine is actualy turned.

"The only thing that I can thi

"The only thing that I can think of is that either the engine is not centered on the boat at the transom (off to one side slightly), or is centered but cocked somewhat (not vertical).

I've been in this profession since 1960 and have never encountered this problem..... a first!"

I think I am explaining this w

I think I am explaining this wrong the engine is perfectly vertical. its like when you turn the wheel to the right your engine will swing to the right. In this case when the boat is going straight the engine is swung a little to one side as if you are starting a turn. When you turn the steering wheel to start a turn the engine is inline with the bow but even though I am in a turn. Hope I am saying this right.

"I understand that you're

"I understand that you're saying that when the engine is perfectly straight with the boat, the boat is being forced into a turning action.

That takes me right back to my last post (engine off center)... OR, there is something vastly wrong with that hull."

I was never into rigging and e

I was never into rigging and engine installation. I'll let someone else handle that question.

"I have the feeling that this

"I have the feeling that this might a case of adjusting the trim-tab behind the propeller to reduce steering force on the wheel.
If going straight and the boat turns to port: adjust the tab slightly to port. Note that the effect will change depending on speed and trim, and You will never get it neutral in all situations."

Mort.... That thought had also

Mort.... That thought had also crossed my mind but he didn't say anything pertaining to having the boat steer hard in one direction and pulling constantly toward the opposite direction. Hopefully your suggestion cures the problem.

Just to update. Adjusted the t

Just to update. Adjusted the trim tab and now the motor is lined up perfect when going straight.

Back