Logo

2003T No oil pressure

charlesbahn

"Hi - looking for ideas. I&#39

"Hi - looking for ideas. I've got a 2003T, 6 years and 1000 hours after rebuild was running great. Motored into anchorage with no problem. Next morning start the engine and the low oil alarm doesn't shut off as usual on start up. Quick look at gauge confirms no pressure, shut off engine. Engine started and sounded fine except for alarm. I'm quite certain it isn't just the sender as I have both an idiot alarm and a gauge. There is oil in the crankcase and a small amount of oil in the pan under the engine, but nothing suggestive of a catastrophic leak. Engine turns O.K by hand. Obviously didn't restart, just sailed home.

Anything obvious?"

Thank goodness you did not run

Thank goodness you did not run. Sender from Volvo has both functions in one unit. If oil is restricted thru hose to sender then unit will cause problem noted. Need to run mechanical gauge at block fitting to check pressure.

"Thank you DickV, I'll do

"Thank you DickV, I'll do that and post results. Hope it's really that simple......sure don't want to pull the engine.

Charles"

Don't need to pull to chec

Don't need to pull to check oil pump. Pump is in front behind crank pulley and relief valve is at bottom of housing below oil filter.

"Thanks again DickV, hard to i

"Thanks again DickV, hard to imagine the pump going without some kind of a noise, those are pretty stout gears as I recall, ever see one go bad? I'm hoping for the pressure sender or the relief valve...but I'm always an optimist.

Charles"

Have seen pump gear tang shear

Have seen pump gear tang shear away. Hence no rotation.

"Good news. It is the sender.

"Good news. It is the sender. Hooked up a mechanical gauge and I've got good pressure. Just for fun I also looked at the pump gear and relief valve, and they're fine.

So a mechanical oil gauge is a good thing to have aboard, and the tools and knowledge of how to set it up, so you can verify the oil pressure if the sender goes bad- And not risk running the engine with no pressure.

Thx a lot DickV!"

Back