Logo

Flushing my engine and then shutoff

"It sounds like you have the i

"It sounds like you have the ignition system covered, if I'm not mistaken, you have replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

So what about the fuel system. You haven't mentioned changing the fuel/water seperator. Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?

Also, what version of the Gxi do you have (there should be a letter that follows, like Gxi-A) ?"

"cap rotor plugs and wire are

"cap rotor plugs and wire are all new.

I emptied out my fuel filter to inspect for water but nothing in there. put that back.

I have the gxi-b which is the MPI (a, is tbi). I can get a gauge no problem just not sure how/where to connect it (fuel rail, pump)/"

"I was able to get a fuel gaug

"I was able to get a fuel gauge on the fuel rail. I got 60psi. I can't find in my manual if this is in range.

While doing this i also went ahead and did a few more things.

Inspected cap and rotor for water. Nothing inside.
Took off the ignition coil for inspection. Did not look great but delivered spark.
Disconnected, inspected and cleaned the main wiring harness per another boards recommendation

While doing this i had the main wiring harness outside of its bracket, and i just had the ignition coil sitting on the block.

Turned the key and it turned on just fine! Repeated that 3x. Told the admiral to get dinner ready while I put the wire harness and IC in there proper place.

After putting everything where it belong, turned the key and.........................the thing would NOT start. Same behavior. You hear the engine cough as you turn the starter but it just won't go.

I am starting to think it is that main harness or ignition coil. Unfortunately I could not go back to the configuration with the harness and IC not in their proper place.

What do you guys think?"

I disconnected the coil bracke

I disconnected the coil bracket again today and got her to start.

So I replaced the coil this evening and guess what.......... IT STARTS UP JUST LIKE SHE USED TO :D

I let her run on muffs for 15 mins and everything looked great. Gave her a couple good accelerations and she sounded great. Pending good weather I hope to be able to take her for a test drive.

I want to thank you all who took the time to help a newbie out. This exercise although somewhat painful has me familiar with a lot of the basics that I can address in an emergency situation out at sea. If any of you are down in Miami at anytime I owe you a few beers!!! ;)

Thanks again!

Back