Logo

88 OMC 504V timing power issues

"OK...just to be clear, when I

"OK...just to be clear, when I say the screw I mean the little screw where the black wire attaches to the points that goes to the neg post of the coil. I think the black wire, the copper strip and the stainless strip all attach to that same screw. Let us know how you make out."

"The points are fitted incorre

"The points are fitted incorrectley, the loose steel band clips behind the tab of the points before you tension it to the screw."

"I called up Sierra tech suppo

"I called up Sierra tech support and they looked at my pictures online and said that it was setup correctly.

With that said...I still dont believe so. Unfortunately, I will have to remove the points to attempt to fix it...and therefore set the freaking points again. Ughh! I'm a perfectionist...and that aint an easy task.

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks!
Sully"

"I tried to "fix" the

"I tried to "fix" the steel band placement, but there is no way to place it better. I also cleaned up the mechanical advance a bit more. I really dont see any issues down there.

Here are some new pictures: http://rides.webshots.com/album/561348175yADjFQ?vhost=rides

As you can see by my latest distributor cap picture...I may have found the knocking noise. It appears that the rotor is striking three of the cap contact points. Maybe I can slightly adjust the cap placement on top of the distributor? There is a very small amount of play with the cap, prior to tightening the screws. I may just loosen these up a bit and play with it while it is running. At this point, I dont see I could make it worse.

I have NOT yet pulled the boat out of my garage and fired it up. I still need to try Bob's suggestion of removing the 2 gray wires from the coil to rule them out as a problem."

"OK....it just doesn't see

"OK....it just doesn't seem right for the other end to just hang out there, not sure how much good it's doing but your last pic is very clear, there is no other way to install it....sorry for taking you down the old garden path!

I wonder if you try a different rotor, not much movement in those caps."

I have SIERRA tech support loo

I have SIERRA tech support looking at my pictures (I just had them on the phone) and they are now pulling a new one off the shelf to compare to my photo. They said the steel band is the spring and the copper one is the conductor. So...the steel band should be doing something more than it is now. Just dont seem right...you are correct on that Bob.

Sully

"Geesshh! That freaking steel

"Geesshh! That freaking steel spring/band DOES go underneath!! The tech called me back and apologized for being stupid. I bent the copper spring/band back really far and saw a very small slit/opening. I stuck the stainless steel lip into this slit and it all fell right in place. I then put it all back together and set my points. The points bar is now VERY stiff...as the spring is actually working. This will HOPEFULLY cut out the badly missing engine at higher RPMS, because the points bar will not be bouncing.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2308037200102484116KjXPUH?vhost=rides

Thanks everyone! I will let you know how it runs hopefully tomorrow."

"Hi guys. I've been follo

"Hi guys. I've been following this discussion and was hoping some of your ideas would help me but so far they haven't. I'm beginning think I may have a different issue. My sweetie is a 88 bayliner w/ a 3.0L OMC / Cobra Outdrive. I have had a $5k new engine installed from Jasper Engines and a good mechanic who seems to have ran out of ideas on what is still wrong. Initially I had a busted block which lead to the new engine. It runs like a beauty on the dyno maxing out at 4800rmps. When in the water, it fires right up, idles perfectly, and is perfect at no wake. Once the boat gets to about 3/4ths throttle, the engine bogs down and boat wont go over 3000rmps. We have had the timing set dead perfect, and had the dist function tested. What else could it be??? I'm wondering if I should try a new fuel pump? Could something that simple cause the problem? Mechanic says carb is in good shape. Hope you can help!!

Thanks,
Todd"

"Hi guys. I've been follo

"Hi guys. I've been following this discussion and was hoping some of your ideas would help me but so far they haven't. I'm beginning think I may have a different issue. My sweetie is a 88 bayliner w/ a 3.0L OMC / Cobra Outdrive. I have had a $5k new engine installed from Jasper Engines and a good mechanic who seems to have ran out of ideas on what is still wrong. Initially I had a busted block which lead to the new engine. It runs like a beauty on the dyno maxing out at 4800rmps. When in the water, it fires right up, idles perfectly, and is perfect at no wake. Once the boat gets to about 3/4ths throttle, the engine bogs down and boat wont go over 3000rmps. We have had the timing set dead perfect, and had the dist function tested. What else could it be??? I'm wondering if I should try a new fuel pump? Could something that simple cause the problem? Mechanic says carb is in good shape. Hope you can help!!

Thanks,
Todd"

"I believe so but will confirm

"I believe so but will confirm with mechanic on Monday. I'm leaning toward it being fuel related too or maybe the outdrive could be the problem? Thanks, Todd"

"Hy Stat,

Just wanted you t

"Hy Stat,

Just wanted you to know that I joined as a member and started my on thread to this issue. It's under "88 bayliner bogging down....
There is a lot more posting that has gone on under the new thread and everyone is waiting on me to get more info from my "mechanic". Be in touch soon.

Thanks for all,
Todd"

Back