Logo

BF20 Runs fine wont reach full RPM

J

Jason & Family

"Good day, I recently bought a

"Good day, I recently bought a boat with a 2003 BF20 tiller motor. Our first couple of times out the engine was fine. She still purrs, starts fine, idle's fine, no smoke or anything odd. On our third time out she wont reach full power. She's running like a 5 horse, if that. She will rev up in neutral to high rpms just not in forward. Reverse also seems fine. I checked one plug and it seems to have a little oil on it, not alot but enough to make me concerned. Is this normal. Plug was also very dark. Will replace those this week. Not sure at this point if I have huge problems or if it's a quick fix. Oil pressure light is also fine. Any insight you guys could give would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance."

Ran a compression test and hav

Ran a compression test and have full compresion in both cylinders. Oil on plugs seems to be from when it was winterized. Replaced plugs and fuel filter and still the same problem. Could it possibly just need a carb adjustment via the screws? Would a wrong setting loose my top end rpm/power? Someone mentioned a new fuel pump diaphram? Is this hard to do? I'm at a loss here. Please help.

"Ok, since no one has input in

"Ok, since no one has input into this, maybe someone can help me narrow this down. This is what I'm wondering.

-since she rev's up to full rpm in neutral, does this eliminate fuel delivery?

Did also notice that the oil smells slightly of gas. Is this normal? Oil seems like it may have been slightly overfilled. Will change that tomorrow morning.

Can someone at least tell me where to start. Running on limited knowledge and a limited budget. Also last question, does the fuel diaphram have anything to do with fuel delivery?

Many thanks.

Jason"

"Thanks guys, yes I had her ou

"Thanks guys, yes I had her out twice and she ran great. On the third day is when it started. As for a fuel and vacuum tests, am I able to do either of these myself? Thanks again."

yes u can do them ur self
fin

yes u can do them ur self
find a good fuel pressure/vaccum gauge
where r u located?

"Hey guys, tested the fuel and

"Hey guys, tested the fuel and vacuum and both were ok. Changed the spark plugs, oil and fuel filter and now she purrs like a kitten again. Must have been as simple as a dead plug. Thanks for all the help. This is a great board!"

Back