Logo

Engine warning lights

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
"Anthony et al:

I saw your

"Anthony et al:

I saw your post about the 3 wire alt. not hooked up right. If you would spare a minute for me I would appreciate it.

I have a 1987 Baretta 4.3L that has all gauges and also warning lights. I replaced 90% of the wiring with new harnesses. There are 4 warning indication lights: temp, volts, oil and fuel. They are controlled by a circuit board and all worked prior to the rewire, but not the oil light. The oil pressure sender was replaced prior to rewire due to flickering pressure and the warn. light worked. All the wires for the gauges were done one at a time.

Each gauge has from the new harness a purple power wire, ground wire, signal wire and warning lamp; also night light; the circuit board wires seemed to match the gauge wire harness colors and there are 2 wires of each from the board. In addition, the previous engine to dash harness did not include a purple wire for each gauge. It had a jumper wire that tied the gauges in series (assuming from the circuit board). I reconnected the purple jumper wire as it was previuosly wired, all but the oil gauge because if it is connected, the fuel lamp comes on. The fuel gauge is a pink wire and there are 2 pink wires from the circuit board so I connected them to the fuel gauge signal. The other gauges have one circuit board wire.

Based on your comments, the oil pressure signal from the sender goes directly to the gauge; the warning light's wire is attached to the same point. The theory is when there is NO OIL PRESSURE, the lamp lights up. It doesn't when this occurs or during "ignition on lamp test" where they all come on for a moment. I did get it to come on once during lamp testing and will try it again in case it is the lamp. If I ground each sending wire as a test, each lamp should come on and gauge should peg, correct? Any help is appreciated."

Back