Logo

Bow wonbt lift

R

Ron Stewart

"Hi
I have a problem with the

"Hi
I have a problem with the bow not lifting out of the water. It just seems to plow. I have a 2002 125 Merc on a 17 aluminum boat. I know the bow is heavy on it. I have put as much weight to the back, filled the live well which is in the back,put on a hydro-foil, but lost RPM and top end. I was thinking a set back or jack plate. Would it work? I would like to get rid of the hydro-foil. I even changed props. The boat comes out of the water fine. No matter how much I trim the motor it does not make much difference.
Thanks
Ron"

"Ron, I had the same problem o

"Ron, I had the same problem on an aluminum boat. It sounds like the bottom of your boat, especially the last few feet near the transom, is bent. The term is called a "hook". Crawl under your boat with a straight edge and lay it across the bottom and oook for daylight between the straight edge and the boat bottom. Basically whats happening is, air is rolling out of the void spot and onto the prop. Thus, the prop is losing its bite and the bow is falling. Hope this helps."

"Hi Erik
I had already checke

"Hi Erik
I had already checked the hull bottom, it is straight, plus the boat is new. I know the bow is heavy, so I was just wondering if I was able to move the motor back a few inches it would rebalance the boat.
Ron"

"Ayuh,...

A Hydrofoil Lifts

"Ayuh,...

A Hydrofoil Lifts the Stern, which causes the bow to Plow...."

Back