Logo

1960 Johnson Propeller Shaft

prizmatik

"I have this old motor (mo

"I have this old motor (model # V4 S 12). I have recently had problems with the motor/propeller locking up. I disassembled the gearcaseallthe way up to the forward gear. The propeller shaft is supposed to slide out from there but it will not come out. I suspect the bearing cone has been heated up and ruined, and for what ever reason causing the the shaft to not slide out. Anyone know of any way to remove the propeller shaft so I can remove the forward gear and remaining components? Thanks for your help in advance."

Model #V4S12 ia a 1960 V4 75hp

Model #V4S12 ia a 1960 V4 75hp Johnson. Did you remove the skeg from the upper portion of the lower unit?

What is the skeg? I have a rep

What is the skeg? I have a repair manual for this motor and have not found anything involving the skeg to remove the propeller shaft. Thanks for the help.

"That's a typical name for

"That's a typical name for the extreme lower portion of the lower unit... the fin.

In your case, the "skeg" would be the portion of the lower unit that houses the gears, propshaft, etc.

Regardless, that propshaft should pull out of the gearcase. It's just a case that it would be impossible to reassemble if that lower portion wasn't removed.

Put a long drive pin in it and try removing it with a slide hammer."

"I have tried with a slide ham

"I have tried with a slide hammer, and I have tried using hydraulic power ( I used an engine hoist with a unique setup ) to extract the propeller shaft, nothing has worked. I believe that the bearing cone has welded itself to the the propeller shaft due to no gear oil in the housing."

"Getting back to my original q

"Getting back to my original question. Did you remove the "skeg", that is the gearcase portion from the upper portion of the lower unit?"

"With that portion of the lowe

"With that portion of the lower unit removed, the pinion gear removed etc, nothing to interfere with pulling that shaft out, I can't visualize the shaft being jammed that tight. Even if the forward bearing and race were welded to the shaft, the complete assembly should pull out of there.

Have you tried heating the forward portion of the housing with a propane torch to loosen the bearing race's grip on that housing?"

Use only a hand help propane t

Use only a hand help propane torch which will not cause any damage.

DO NOT use an acetylene torch as this will melt the aluminum housing in a matter of seconds.

Back