Logo

1972 100HP Johnson stalling problem

T

tvickers

" I took my boat on vacation l

" I took my boat on vacation last week. I ran fine the first day or two. After that it would run OK for an hour or so, then would stall and eventually stop. This always occurred when we were pulling a skier (about 15-20 mph). It always started up again and would run fine at low speeds, but would continue to stall at the higher speeds. I thought it might be a fuel problem since we were at high altitude (7000 ft). Premium fuel seemed to help, but didn't cure the problem. Any Ideas??

-Tim "

"Tim.... If it ran fine for a

"Tim.... If it ran fine for a day or two, it's not likely that the altitude had any bearing on your problem. The fact that it would run okay for a hour or so after that indicates that you are encountering a fuel restriction. You're obtaining enough fuel for a slow rpm but the high rpms would be starving. There may be another problem but this is the most likely.

If you're using portable fuel tanks, check their air vent. If you're using a built in tank, check for a sticking "Anti Siphon Valve". It will be located at the top of the tank where the rubber fuel hose connects to it. It will be a aluminum fitting, about 2" long. Remove it. If there's a ball, spring, and ball seat within it, knock them out of it which converts the fitting to a straight through fitting.... then re-install it.

You might also want to check the fuel primer bulb to see if possible the valve in the end of it nearest the engine may have come apart, turned itself around, then got drawn back into the valve body (fuel restriction). Although that problem is rare, it does happen.

If that corrects the problem, fine. If not, when this problem flares up, have someone pump the fuel primer bulb to see if that makes a difference.

Joe
"

Thanks Joe! I'll give it

Thanks Joe! I'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens.

-Tim

Back