Logo

2006 Mercruiser Alpha I

M

Matt McNellis

"I'm posting this for a fr

"I'm posting this for a friend, but we've got a 2006 Bayliner 175 wakeboarding boat with a 3.0L Merc Alpha I... Just put the boat in last weekend and went to go for a ride today but it seems that the choke is stuck. Once the boat warmed up, as soon as we went to give it some gas it would just bogg down and die. Any idea what this may be if its not the choke? and if it is the choke, how can we access it?

169795.jpg
2006 Bayliner 175XT"">
P.S. above picture is not our boat, but a picture of an identical one.

Thanks so much for any help,
Matt"

"If the choke is stuck closed

"If the choke is stuck closed then the engine would belch out black sooty exhaust. Do you get that condition? If yes, then the electric choke may have failed if you can see the throttle plate is not straight up/down. The choke is on the end of the throttle plate w/2 wires. If should feel warm if working.

If not, then will the engine stall if you increase throttle really slow to say 3500 RPM? If it will throttle up SLOWLY but not w/a quick throttle, it seems that the accellerator pump has failed. To check it, WITH THE ENGINE COLD AND KEY OFF, remove the carb flame arrestor and look down into the carb throat while your buddy gives a quick throttle in neutral. You should see two side-by-side strong squirts of fuel like a pair of squirt guns. If you don't see STRONG SQUIRTS, the accellerator pump needs replaced. Let us know what you find, somebody will help you."

"[b]"Once the boat warmed

""Once the boat warmed up, as soon as we went to give it some gas it would just bogg down and die. Any idea what this may be "

Ayuh,.....

Sounds like Plugged Fuel Filters,...
Or,...
Bad Gas to Me...."

"We tried it today, and got so

"We tried it today, and got some local advice. We heard it could be bad gas from last year but we filled it with a fresh 1/4 from empty when we launched it. We figured its moisture in the fuel filter but ofcourse, we can't find it. Theres no black smoke, and it wont run under 3000rpm... if we hold it at where 3000rpm should be, the engine revs up and down from 2500 to 3500 without us touching the throttle.

once again, any ideas

thanks guys"

Back