Logo

120 OMC runs rough

gordo

"I have a 1978 OMC 120 hp inbo

"I have a 1978 OMC 120 hp inboard/outboard. I sold it to someone tonight and while he was driving home, he was unable to get up on plane. The boat seemed to cough and sputter and sounded like it was "dieseling". It would not get up on plane. He drove it for about a mile to get it to his dock. It would not start for him when he shut it off. The boat had ran very smoothly in the driveway, even when I would rev it up. I went to help out and checked that it was getting fuel at the carb. It was. I pumped some more fuel into the carb and it started up and ran smoothly. We took it out and as soon as you gave it throttle to get up on plane, it would sputter and diesel again. I checked the plugs and noticed that 1 and 2 looked like it was running rich. 3 and 4 looked a bit lean. Last summer, I replaced the coil, condensor, and points. I only took it out once after that and just putted around the beach. I also noticed tonight that the plug wire from #2 was suspect. It pulled apart when I tried to remove the wire from the plug. Can you offer any advice. I feel terrible selling it this way."

"after you changed the points

"after you changed the points last year, did you check dwell and timing?
Over the winter, points can also get a light film of corrosion on the contact faces that can cause the sort of symptoms described, and it can be simply cleaned off with a folded over piece of fine emery cloth.
Fuel quality can also cause these symptoms - could try running it out of a remote gas tank"

Back