Logo

Starts and idles but backfires and dies when you give it throttle

fraidknot

"I have a 2007 Honda 15, maybe

"I have a 2007 Honda 15, maybe 30 hrs on it. It has a tiller handle, both electric and pull start, and automatic choke. I did a little pre-season maintenace; spark plugs, fuel filter, oil change. It started on the third pull, but had a lot of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. Once that disapated, I gave it a little throttle. The engine lagged behind the throttle and lost power at first, but then kicked in. However, it soon started making backfiring noises out of the exhaust (note the engine is not in the water and is being cooled by a garden hose)and running rough, sometimes it stalls out. It has new gas, a new filter, new plugs, and I even put screw clamps on the fuel line to make sure it wasn't sucking air. I hooked up the big engines fuel line to it and the same thing happened. like I said it starts great and idles, so I am thinking it is something simple. What am I missing? Any help will be appreciated."

"Thanks for the advice. Do yo

"Thanks for the advice. Do you know of any good diagrams for the break down of the carb, the Honda manuals are not the best. Thanks again."

With a little mechanical under

With a little mechanical understanding and an air compressor its quite easy to clean a carb as long as you take your time and do so in a clean environment. When you take out the tuning screws to clean inside them count the number of turns so that you can put them back the same way.
As for tuning it i suggest you start a new thread on here and see if anyone else can help you.
Good luck

Back