Logo

Merc 402E Thunderbolt 1978 controls amp box help

needymerc31

"Hello all, First of all - jus

"Hello all, First of all - just recently found this forum, pretty awesome, esp. for newbies like me.. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and always have both ears open..

I have recently bought a 1978 Merc 402 40hp 2 cylinder off of craigslist for $125. Come to find out on purchase, It was a recent project rebuild done by a local tech school. Completely rebuilt top to bottom. Needless to say I am excited about the deal. No controls/cables though(not complaining)but the tech. school has updated the control plug to a newer style 8-pin.(guess the old ones like to catch fire!) What are my choices for controls/cables - kind of small budget - other years compatible? buy used box and newer cables-what will fit?
Please help wise ones. And thank you in advance-}"

"Brian, you have a couple of c

"Brian, you have a couple of choices. You could opt for Teleflex 600A cables which are custom to Merc engines, but also require a Merc shifter for all the ends to mate up properly.

Alternately you could go with 33C or 3300 series cables (generic) and obtain the appropriate end connectors (available at just about every marine dealer).

I have personally rigged alot of smaller outboards with US Marine shifters (will accomodate Merc/OMC/Force setups) - these are fairly common on the used market and can often be obtained with 3300 cables attached on places like Ebay...."

"Thanks very much for your qui

"Thanks very much for your quick reply GL. I do have merc controls off my old 1966 merc650SL. It also has elec. choke/start - I'm assuming that the 402 does too(elec.choke). Will this work with the proper engine/cable ends as I think the 65hp has bigger ends(on engine connect). Also, can I just cut the old plug off and wire a newer 8-pinner to fit?? Thanks again."

"Brian, the current add on end

"Brian, the current add on ends for the morse cables are all the same size for 40 horse and up motors so should work fine if going that route or the 600A cables will hook right up.

Also, you should be able to splice in a new connector on the harness no problem and there will also be an electric choke, solenoid type, that will work through the keyswitch - just the same as you had..."

"Thanks for the link'er JB

"Thanks for the link'er JB, is a good one. But my problem still exists. I definately am no electrician. So here goes nothin-
The old plug harness (1966-merc650) has (6) wires. Red, Black, Yellow, White, Green, Brown.
OK now,
The new plug has 12 wires, 4 of which re-surface at the hind end of the actual male plug to be connected. This was a 8-pin male to female 2ft extnsion harness. I bought and cut in half to gain the male plug end I needed to make engine connection.

These (12) wires are: Red, Black, Brown, Green, Purple, Yellow/Black, Yellow/Red, Black/Yellow, Brown/White, Brown/Black, Blue/White, & Green/White.

The colors that resurface on opposite end are: Brown, Brown/White, Green/White, & Blue/White.

If anyone knows please help. As I hope I can accomplish this with the new plug end. I possibly need the whole harness front to back?? Please say no, ($$$). Many thanks to anyone that has the time or patience.

You are good people..

Brian-"

Back