Logo

Grinding sound in piston

dominik

"Hi all
Recently a friend of

"Hi all
Recently a friend of mine asked me to get his crysler 7hp Two cylinder (serial 1320) running for him. He says it ran fine untill he left it standing in the rain for a year !!!!. I compleatly stripped it, cleaned everything as best i could then soaked it in parafinn over night to absorb any remaining moisture, cleaned and dried everything, oiled cylinders with 2 stroke and re assembled.

When i pulled starter chord it felt like the engine had extremly high compression although spark plugs were removed. When i turn the fly weel manualy each piston has one position where it makes a horible grinding noise.

Anyone have any idia whats going on here
Thanks in advance for any help,
Dominik"

"Dominick,
Seized rings and

"Dominick,
Seized rings and or corroded cylinders come to mind if its only happening in certain spots while turning over. Do you get any compression out of it?"

"Dave, Thanks for your help,

"Dave, Thanks for your help,
I don't have a compression tester but when i turn the flywheel it just feels stiff (possibly no compression) i did not want to try it to long for fear of scratching inside of piston.
if it is sized rings is it realistic to change these?
I assume if the cylinder is corroded the engine is for the dump?
Is there a way to find out for sure which it is without opening the cylinder again as on this model that means dismantling the entire engine (I just put it back together).
Thanks again for any help."

Not really. If you feel bindin

Not really. If you feel binding when turning by hand the only way to find it is to take the powerhead apart.

You could have piston binding due to rust or you could have some bearings on the crankshaft making the noise.

Rust doesn't automatically mean dump unless of course you find some major corrosion to the point it has made holes in the powerhead that can not be repaired.

Back