Logo

Instant carb flooding

cal

Regular Contributor
Now that the Fireball V8 225C

Now that the Fireball V8 225C has been running in the water I have a situation where there is almost instant flooding upon the initial startup. With the throttle closed and the auto chokes turned open it still floods out. A few sprays of either and some starter grinding and then it takes off. the back horizontal carb drips fuel when shut down. Is this a float setting problem?
Cal

"Hey Cal, I can't remember

"Hey Cal, I can't remember if you changed your fuel pump or not. Yes it could be float sticking. I would check fuel filter and fuel pump. Could be getting too much pressure if it's a new pump. Need minimum pressure available."

Jim
It has the original fuel

Jim
It has the original fuel pump which obviously works quite well. The one thing I never did on the engine rebuild was rework the carbs. It just might be a sticking float or bad seat on the float valve. Anyone have a link for a rebuild kit for the Carter y's?

"Cal,
A really good web site

"Cal,
A really good web site is www.carburetor.ca You will need kit #ck456. I ordered these kits planning to rebuild my carbs myself. After seeing how extensive the parts were and the special tools required, I decided not to do it. I sent the kits back with my carbs and had them do it for me. The guys name is Rusty if I remember correctly, and he is very helpfull. This will cost you somewhere around 725.00 with intake plennum rebuild. The good news is he only rebuilds carbs back to show quality factory condition. I am very pleased with the two he did for me. I hope this helps and good luck. Pat"

"Cal!
If you have a 3 piece i

"Cal!
If you have a 3 piece intake manifold make sure the front carb is pushed down toward the valley cover. The YH Carter carb's are noted for leaking, If not kept in a level plane. I know boat owners used to step on the carb's when climbing out of the bilges of a boat and wonder why their engs, didn't run right or the carb's are leaking, because they stepped on the aft carb and tilted the aft carb this caused the leaking or flooding problems. Hope I was of some help.
Fred"

Back