Logo

Lower drive heart breakerhelp please

beerosaur

"Hi all,
First a quick intro

"Hi all,
First a quick intro and some basics for you. I'm Ivan and I live in the Tacoma area. I bought a fixer 19' Sea Ray 2 seasons ago and you can imagine what I've been doing for two seasons, fixing. LOL! I've been lurking around this board the whole time. As best I have it figured it's a 350 with a Stringer 800 drive. Spent most of last summer fighting ball gears and finally got that squared away thanks to you guys. Dinked with everything else in the meanwhile and finally today was the day. Before I continue, let me add I promise I've searched and I just know the answer is here but I haven't been able to pin it down.

Back to the story, beautiful sunny day...boat's running great, everything finally works. In the water it goes and 10 minutes later, BUMMP! Right in the middle of the lake it hits bottom, or some foreign object. Needless to say, prop, prop shaft and the little fin on the bottom of the drive get a beating. Props probably toast, shaft is bent a bit (probably toast) and the fin, I can probably grind and leave alone..it has a bit of a curve to it now, but it's quite graceful
I limp slowly to the trailer and contemplate hand grenades.

I have the manual and I'm trying to figure out the shaft removal. It basically says remove the screws holding on the lower, remove prop, exhaust housing and mentions a pinion nut that I think you have to get at from the top?

Will the shaft come out once I pull the exhaust housing (bearing carrier??) or do I have to drop the whole lower or more?

Any links to the answer or comments/tips/instruction would be greatly appreciated. Part sources as well. I'm new at the boat thing and learning a boatload a dollar and a heart attack at a time.

Anyone in the Tacoma area?

-= Ivan"

"My factory manual for full me

"My factory manual for full mechanical shift 800 shows removing vertical driveshaft and pinion, then shifting to reverse before removing prop shaft.
Also says remove drain plug so you don't break the magnet off. You need to remove the lower unit from the upper completely."

"Thank you very much for respo

"Thank you very much for responding first of all

Okay, I think I get that. Oieeee! I'm ready to rent some friends that have a boat.

-= Ivan"

So how did your shaft removal

So how did your shaft removal go? I am trying to pull the shaft bearing housing but I don't have a clue as to how to do it. I have tried a puller but it doesn't want to budge. I am thinking about adding some heat to it to try to expand the housing then try to pull the housing. Any hints or suggestions from your job would be helpful.

Back