Logo

1997 115hp SPL Johnson Outboard

fishoholic

"I have a 1997 115hp SPL Johns

"I have a 1997 115hp SPL Johnson outboard and I am currently having an issue with it starting. For instance, after arriving at a fishing spot I will turn off the motor and when I try to restart the motor it does not want to start. In General, the following are the steps I have to do when I try to restart the motor:

First, I have to depress the “warm up button” (I believe that is the correct name for the button located on the right side of the control box) and put the motor in neural. Next, I have to push the control handle forward and backward a few times. The motor will start after doing this a few times, but it will smoke a lot. Once the motor starts in this position (neutral) I have to put the motor in gear and I have to immediately push the control forward once it is in gear or the motor will die. Sometimes I will have to do this procedure two or three times before it starts and continue to run, so I can continue on my way. Once on my way the motor runs great.

The motor will also die sometimes when idling. Very few times does it ever start without doing the steps above. The motor will start great in the driveway hooked up to a hose. However, it appears once the motor is placed under a load it becomes very difficult to start and keep it from dyeing when placing it in gear.

1. Carburetors have been rebuilt approximately one month ago.
2. The gas line, bulb and engine connector is approximately 8 years old and never been replaced.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon"

"First of all pushing the thro

"First of all pushing the throttle lever forwards and backwards a few times does absolutely nothing as there is no accelerator pump in the carburetors ( your motor is not an old car from the 60's )You must start your trouble shooting with a compression test, post your results and we can help from there."

"ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The

"ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The compression of each of the cylinders are as follows:

Cylinder #1 - 75lb
Cylinder #2 - 110lb
Cylinder #3 - 120lb
Cylinder #4 - 110lb

I know the above numbers are not great, but will it cause the problems outlined in my original post.

Also, when I pump the gas bulb it will get hard, but it will begin to soften as I continue to squeeze the bulb in my hand. Periodically I will get gas leaking around the connector where it connects into the motor.

Thank you for any input.

Jon"

Try and get a six gallon porta

Try and get a six gallon portable tank with a good hose and bulb and hook it up and see if it starts any better also have you decarbon motor it might help compression you might have a stuck ring on that one low cylinder it help me on my engine

"Pull the cylinderhead to look

"Pull the cylinderhead to look at the cylinder with low compression, that will tell the story.It is a blown head gasket or complete overhaul time.It sounds to me as a classic failure ( scored piston and damaged cylinder ) , there is no quick fix."

Back