Logo

305 marine engine

homerl

Regular Contributor
"Almost completed reassembly o

"Almost completed reassembly of motor.No problems found right down to the block.All that is left is dropping the cap rotor assembly back down into the block.What is the easiest way to set timing as the lower gear has alot of teeth and then making sure i'm at top dead cetre.I have alighned the timing marks,but does that mean tdc.Thanks for any help."

"[b]"I have alighned the t

""I have alighned the timing marks,but does that mean tdc."

Ayuh,.......

Only if it was on the Compression Stroke.....

If it was on the Exhaust Stroke,...
You'll be 180° Out......"

"take number one plug out and

"take number one plug out and put your finger in the spark plug hole, bump the engine over until the compressoin pushes you figer out. Look at the timing marks and aline them... You are now at TDC and ready for setting the dist."

"Thanks guys,now having done t

"Thanks guys,now having done that,how hard is it to set in and align the distributer?"

"Are you going to prime the oi

"Are you going to prime the oil via the dist.? Not absolutely required; can be done w/the starter and the coil wire grounded.

If you are 100% positive the #1 cylinder is @ TDC, align the dist. w/the rotor pointing at the #1 cyl. wire post and slide it into place w/the rotor pointing at the engine front.

I remember something (recent post) about a short shaft having to be installed...not sure???

A little HELP from you engine builders!!"

Back