Logo

1995 25 hp johnson cuts out

C

coolcatcj1

"Can anyone please help me?

"Can anyone please help me?
My 1995 25 hp johnson outboard starts and runs great at idle and partially revved the problem is when revved past 1/4 thottle but not always, sometimes it will take off just fine and then seconds or minutes (depends on the day) later it cuts out violently but doesnt die, if you let off throttle it returns to running fine but this makes for a slow (5 mph) ride to next fishing spot.

I have taken off and cleaned carb, I have tried a new coil on both cylinders thinking a coil was cutting out. It does seem to be less troublesome when cold and it seemed to be better after i messed with the electronic advance but now is back to same.
ecm maybe?
Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Thank you in advance"

"Might it be Your SLOW kicking

"Might it be Your SLOW kicking in?
If SURE Your engine is getting enough water and not running hot, try to disconnect the temp switch at cyl head.
I would have changed impeller and thermostat first to be sure."

"It is getting plenty of water

"It is getting plenty of water flow and sometimes it does it before it has run long enough to be hot but i never thought of temp switch, wow, that would be great. I will try that tomorrow morning. Thanks so much for the response."

"Sometimes when the impeller i

"Sometimes when the impeller is old and lost its flexability in the wings, the 25/30 peaks up in temp for a short time enough to set off the switch. Engine does not dangerously overheat, but the delay in the presure valve (spring-loaded thermostat) peaks the temp. If disconnecting the switch 'solves' the problem: change impeller and check/change themostat."

"Thanks alot, I will do that.

"Thanks alot, I will do that. I'll let you know if this works."

"Morten, you sir are the smart

"Morten, you sir are the smartest man alive!
Worked awesome, thank you thank you
"

"Note that if slow has kicked

"Note that if slow has kicked in, engine has to be stopped and restarted to get out of it again.
Happy boating."

ok i have finally gotten an im

ok i have finally gotten an impeller and i want to install it but i cant get the lower unit off could anyone tell me where to find and disconnect the shift rod. Thanks in advance

"remove water intake screens,s

"remove water intake screens,shift rod disc in there...dont lose or damage nylon retainers..u need them."

"i have similar situation as f

"i have similar situation as first posting on a 1999, 35HP Johnson - starts, runs great for a few minutes, then throttles down to idle. Have replaced impeller and cleaned carbs. Noticed gas buildup in oil tank from fuel line and top carb leaking gas. Any suggestions?"

"I have a 1998 50 horse Johnso

"I have a 1998 50 horse Johnson Sea Horse. Ran Great Last Year - I (like a fool) did NOT winterize it. It started slow this year - but finally got it started. Test Drive did not go well. Ran Great - Got on Plane ....then DIED. To get it to start again, I have to cover the Carburetor with my hand - while someone else starts the ignition (Choking with the key in)...eventually it starts and - in Neutral - runs great - even at high revving. ONce we take off again.....planes off - then DEAD again. Is this likely a Carburetor cleaning issue?"

Back