Logo

Pulsing throttle

gwg1

"I have a 1996 48 hp Johnson a

"I have a 1996 48 hp Johnson and I am having trouble with a pulsing throttle. The engine revs then hesitates revs...hesitates. I took it out today and ran a timing light and it appears to be firing on both cylinders during the rev cycles. I found the engine would run pretty good if I pushed really hard on the primer bulb but I didn't feel like I was adding that much fuel, just pressure. So now I believe it is a fuel system problem. The owner before me ran it without using the VRO2 pump with oil and just mixed, which I like. The VRO2 pump is not converted as my manual states by plugging the intake and replacing the "plates" which the oil would be injected into. Can any one offer advice on where to start?"

"If pumping the bulb keeps the

"If pumping the bulb keeps the motor running, chances are the VRO pump is hozed. Before you spend money on a replacement, pull the pulse limiter fitting off the crankcase and make sure it's not plugged with carbon or whatever. Also check the fuel filter. Since you mix your own fuel, you can buy the fuel pump kit without the oil injection on it. This will save you a bunch of money."

isn't there the standard j

isn't there the standard johnson/evinrude fuel pump before the VRO Pump? So could I just completely remove the VRO pump?

Back