Logo

Ring break in procedure 140hp Evinrude

danjmartin

" Question for joe or anyone w

" Question for joe or anyone who may help!

I had to change a piston and ring on my 1978, 140 HP Evinrude outboard (high ring, curled piston, previous post).

A friend mentioned a break-in period/procedure for new rings. Something about keeping the motor below a set RPM for a set period. Does anyone have any information on this? I did a lot of work here and don't want to mess it up on the last step!

Thanks,

Dan "

"Dan.... Actually the importan

"Dan.... Actually the important thing to remember is not to keep the engine at full throttle for a lengthy time period. Usually a four hour period is a sufficent break in time, regulating your throttle settings ie 15 minutes idle, 20 minutes 3/4 throttle, 5 minutes full throttle... changing the time period for the various throttle settings with a random pattern.

Those "High Ring" pistons.... it would have been better if you had replaced all of the pistons. However, if you did not, retard the full advance spark on that engine from its normal setting by 4° which will be an attempt to avoid a reoccurrence of the problem on the remaining three pistons.

Joe
"

" Joe,

I know you are corre

" Joe,

I know you are correct about changing all the pistons, but this was really an experiment (since I've never done this type of work before), so i wanted to keep the price down (in case I completely mess it up!).

I've checked the compression in the cylinder I replaced, so the next step would be to change the timing and test it out!

Thanks for the help! "

Back