Logo

Power loss after throttle up 87 force 50

cosmict

"I am at a loss. Boat idles fi

"I am at a loss. Boat idles fine in neutral but when I throttle up power dies. It seems like it is not getting gas and the bulb is half full after it dies.(like an air leak)Gas cap is vented. I have rebuilt the carb, rebuilt fuel pump new gas tank,fuel filter hose and chrysler fitting. I also replaced spark plugs and water pump. I have good compression on the cylinders.It ran great before rebuilding the carb. could it be a timing issue?maybe a float problem? any other place to check for line leaks?"

"Tom, I wonder if there's

"Tom, I wonder if there's a seal leak at the carb bowl that under higher draw the leak presents as less gas flow available to the jets, thus power loss? Just spittballing here...."

"It's a good idea to run a

"It's a good idea to run an alternate fuel system in a situation like this, and you've already done that with all the new stuff. Is the fuel bulb new?

Here are some other "alternate fueling" ideas to confirm that you are or are not feeding the engine well with fuel:

- If you suspect air in the fuel and fuel starvation due to air being fed to the carburetor, find a little piece of tubing as a union fitting and install a short section of clear hose at the carburetor inlet (gasoline compatible, and if not, don't use it for long), and watch what happens when you increase power.

- You could install a vacuum gauge in the line between the tank and the carb, to see if you have some major restriction. You can also remove the hose from the engine fuel pump inlet and see how your hand bulb pumps fuel.

- You could run a hose straight from the fill cap opening into the fuel tank to the inlet of the engine fuel pump, and see if it changes the way the engine works. If not, you might be looking at a carb that can't keep up with demand due to the bowl level getting too low at high power settings.

- If the carb intake is accessible during boat operation at high power, you could give a short one-quarter second ether blast into the intake as soon as it starts stumbling and see if the engine recovers momentarily. Don't give a continuous blast or bad things can happen. Don't even attempt to play with trying to put gasoline into the intake under those conditions either. I had a friend get some 3rd degree burns and his clothes were burned off, threatening his life. Be careful.

- You can continuously squeeze the bulb when you expect the engine to start stumbling, and if it changes the symptom, then you might have some sort of fuel feed problem. I installed a 7 psi electric fuel pump between my bulb and the carb while troubleshooting a fuel starvation issue. The engine fuel pump pulls fuel right through it, so the electric pump can be there and not hinder operation while it is turned off. After I fixed my fuel starvation issue, I use the electric pump only for priming so I don't have to squeeze the bulb. The squeeze bulb will push fuel through the electric pump, and the engine diaphragm pump will pull fuel through both of them. Adding the electric pump did not change any operation characteristics. It can be a great troubleshooting asset. It is not mounted, it just exists on the fuel line.

- If you suspect a problem with ignition, wear a small AM radio with an ear plug tuned to a blank area of the AM band so you can hear the ignition noise. You'll get familiar with how it should sound. If the noise disappears during the stumble, maybe it's an ignition issue. If the noise just spools down as the engine spools down during the stumble, then the ignition may be okay.

- Timing problems shouldn't kill the engine, but I suppose it's possible. Does it die and totally stop running? Or does it just stumble out but keeps running?

Lastly, if the fuel is getting to the carb without air in it and it's not restricted in any way, then if it's fuel starvation issue, it has to be in the float valve or the float could be sticking somehow, or something is in the carb inlet fitting hole. I always test carb float valves by removing the bowl, and letting the float hang down all the way to open the float valve all the way. You can pump fuel through it with the bulb or a fuel pump, and it should flow pretty well through the valve. You should be able to lift the float and shut the fuel off completely without much force. Don't exert much pressure either way on the float so you don't bend the tabs. Above all, make absolutely sure that the float valve fixture, seat and carb inlet is completely clear of any type of debris. A piece of crap in this area can severely hamper the ability of the carb bowl level to stay where it's suppose to be under higher power settings. Also, make sure the float actually "floats".

Good luck
Bob"

Thanks Bob for the info. I do

Thanks Bob for the info. I do have a new bulb and even went and bought a backup one. I will try the clear tubing rout. As far as the float I did remove it and submerged it in a jar of gas no bubbles it seemed to be ok The carb has been cleaned and all in lets and valves seem to be ok.The float is aligned evenly and when I blew air in it it seated fine. I will take the bowl off and see how it flows through the valve again thanks Tom

"Tom,
You state in the post

"Tom,
You state in the post above ........
"It ran great before rebuilding the carb."

Did you rebuild the carb and the fuel pump at the same time?
What you are looking for is the one thing done that changed the performance of your engine. If I only did the carb rebuild, then the problem surfaced, I'd suspect something not right with the carb."

Thanks Dave for responding. It

Thanks Dave for responding. It did run great but died on me out on the water. I waited a few minutes then it started up again then stalled. It didn't start after that because a bad cilinoid. I replaced that and it would idle but that was it. Being the first time this year I used it I thought the carb might need a rebuild and it did some of the jets were clogged. After the carb rebuild it was the same thing idles great but when given gas it died. So I went to the fuel pump and had it rebuilt to find a small tear in the diaprham. Fixed that and the same problem. Since then I replaced all gas lines just in case they might be old a new tank and hose. My original tank
turned out to be bad as well. all that and iI still have the same problem. took carb apart again and made sure all openings were clear. Put it back on and the same thing. So I held my hand over the carb and gave it gas and it idled higher for me and stayed running until I took my hand off carb.
Do you think its still carb related? thanks Tom

"Tom,
Couple questions .....

"Tom,
Couple questions ........
Does the engine idle fine but stalls when adding throttle?
How is the compression?
Any evidence of flooding (wet plugs, heavy gas odor)?
Is the float bowl running out of gas when it dies?
Does the primer bulb get stiff when squeezed?
Can you keep the engine running by continually squeezing the primer bulb while raising RPM without your hand over the carb?
Have you checked all electrical connections and wire routings to make sure any moving parts are not rubbing leads and shorting out?
If you have a tach, did you try disconnecting it to rule it out?"

"Dave,
The engine does stall

"Dave,
The engine does stall when adding throttle
Compression is 135 both cylinders
Bottom plug is a little wet no gas odor
Not sure how to tell if bowl is empty when it dies
bulb is still hard
the motor chokes out if I keep squeezing bulb.
Electrical seems to be ok nothing rubbing
And no theres no tach on this boat"

"Tom,
You'll need to dra

"Tom,
You'll need to drain the bowl into something to find out how much fuel is in the bowl.
Sounds like your not flooding out unless you force it.
The bulb is hard so your not sucking air or leaking back.
If you are sure about the float setting and the bowl has enough fuel, probably need to look at the ignition / charging system.
Make sure your battery is fully charged.

Some good information and tips here under "Tech Assistance" ......

http://www.maxrules.com/

Hope this helps,
DS"

Thanks Dave for all the help.

Thanks Dave for all the help. I just posted again about the float. Maybe you could give some info on that.

"This is what I have .....

"This is what I have .....

169611.jpg
Floatset

Thanks for the float pics I th

Thanks for the float pics I threaded another post.
My new question would be will the carb off an 85 fit a 50 they look very close in the manual. I forgot to mention that when I removed the float the very first time there was a spring in the bottom. It did not show this on the 50 carb diagram but it does show it for the 85. could someone switched them out. It looks like it seats in the main nozzle on the 85.

"If its the main nozzle spring

"If its the main nozzle spring and not a float spring, it goes above the main fuel jet."

"If the 85's carb looks cl

"If the 85's carb looks close and will fit, you might try it temporarily to see if it runs the engine. Carbs are just calibrated leaking devices, so for troubleshooting purposes try it and see what it does. It can't be any worse than what's happening now. I currently have a 75 with an 85 carb on the #2 cylinder that's still there from troubleshooting. The 85's carb has a larger throat diameter than the 75's carbs do, and I only run this thing at a max of 3500 revs for fuel economy and keeping any possible cylinder load balance issues at bay until I change it back before this weekend but it's been running the engine for about 3 weeks with some extended trips into the Pacific Ocean out of Humboldt Bay, and I can't tell the difference between it and the 75 carb that was there before.

Maybe it'll run so fast with the 85 carb that you'll blow up the engine because you were having "too much fun" at 8000 rpm!

Bob Reed

http://pages.suddenlink.net/reed"

Back