Logo

Starter problem

tonybass

"I have a 1988 Evinrude O/B 15

"I have a 1988 Evinrude O/B 15 hp engine that will start at a touch of the start button sometimes... at other times I get nothing when I push the starter button, no click, no sound at all. I replaced the battery with a new one but nothing changed. I'm thinking a new starter but I'm not by any means an outboard motor mechanic. Any help/suggestions would greatly appreciated."

"i believe,i saw this on anoth

"i believe,i saw this on another post,....ck to be SURE u r in neutral..then,ck adj of N safety sw. ."

"I have a 1988 Evinrude O/B 15

"I have a 1988 Evinrude O/B 15 hp engine that will start at a touch of the start button sometimes... at other times when I push the starter button all I get is this spinning, whirring noise. When I take off the motor cover I see the starter gear spinning around but it's not moving upward to engage the flywheel. Does this motor have a solenoid that's not working properly all of the time???

I have replaced the old battery w/a new one but it didn't fix my problem. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, in advance, for your time and trouble."

"Weak spinning starter........

"Weak spinning starter........

Remove and clean all cable connections pertaining to the starter circuit (there is no solenoid).

If all cables are tight and clean including the ground cable (do check them), and the battery is absolutely good and fully charged, run cables directly to the starter.

If the starter cranks the engine properly, then obvioulsy the problem is elsewhere.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"I'm having a similar prob

"I'm having a similar problem on a '76 Evinrude O/B 115 hp engine. Worked fine last season. Went to start and just hear spinning. Popped top and can see wheel spinning, but it never moves up to engage flywheel. I pulled it up myself and tried starting, but it doesn't turn the flywheel. Had battery tested and it's good. Under little wheel is black rubber-looking stuff that appears twisted on the rod coming from the starter. Do you think the starter drive assembly is bad and needs replaced or could be a faulty connection not supplying enough juice?"

Back