Logo

Help starting a motor

newboatowner

"Hello all.

I just bought a

"Hello all.

I just bought a used boat today from a dealer, and when I put it in the water, i could not get the motor to start. I have no clue what I am doing, as it's my first boat ever.

It has a 25 hp 1975 Johnson motor. I hooked the tank up, pumped the ball a few times, pulled the choke out, and started pulling the cable. Nothing. I had it in neutral, and the throttle was pointing to start.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow, but before I look like an idiot in person, I thought I would to it in cyberspace.

Did I forget to do something? Is there a switch, or some special vodo dance I forgot to do?

Thanks in advance!
"

Pump the fuel primer bulb unti

Pump the fuel primer bulb untill it it rock hard. Engage the choke. Have the engine in neutral. Apply some throttle. Crank the engine.... it should start if all is well.

"When the fuel primer bulb is

"When the fuel primer bulb is hard (primed), that indicates that the fuel lines, fuel pump, and carburetor are full of fuel as they should be."

"Just to follow up, I took it

"Just to follow up, I took it in and the shop had put the wrong spark plugs in it when they serviced it. So, while I still have no clue what I am doing, at least this was not me

I just took it out on the lake, and it runs great. Thanks for your help Joe."

Back