Logo

Eska 35 1703 C

L

laddie26

"I recently purchased for almo

"I recently purchased for almost nothing an eska 3.5 1703-C I believe its a 1971. I took the carburator apart, cleaned thouroughly, replaced some parts and now it starts and runs like a top. One problem, the propeller is always turning. There appears to be no neutral position. Is there a clutch in this model. I have a parts and operation manual but its for a variety of models and I am not that mechanically inclined. Please humor this idiot as I,m turning this little boat and motor over to my 12 & 14 year olds and want it working right."

"No, this motor does not have

"No, this motor does not have a clutch. It's direct drive only. I have several Eska's/Sears Gamefishers and the smallest one I have with a Neutral clutch is a 7 HP. My 5 HP Eska's are direct drive as well. Just make sure the kids have the motors tightened down securely and let them experience good old 360 degree steering :)"

"Thank you so much Wayne, we a

"Thank you so much Wayne, we are getting ready to go to UP tomorrow and am very grateful for the information.
Scott"

"Hi,
I just bought a eska

"Hi,
I just bought a eska 1703c and was wondering about the gas oil mixture also the lube (grease on the propellor gear box and does the motor have a water pump

Thanks
Mike B"

"The 1703C is a 3.5 Horsepower

"The 1703C is a 3.5 Horsepower from 1971.
24:1 Fuel Mixture as per the service manual.
SAE 90 outboard gear lubricant for the bottom end.
The manual states that anything over a 3HP has an impeller to cool exhaust gases, which would include your 3.5. The engine itself is air cooled. Don't run it out of water or you could melt the impeller. As well, these motors will run hot with defective impellers, so it has to be functional."

"wow 24to 1 Hope the impelle

"wow 24to 1 Hope the impeller is working, dont know how to check it

thank you very much for the info."

"I don't personally own a

"I don't personally own a 3.5, so am not 100% sure, but there is likely an exhaust relief hole (or holes) on the bottom end that is above the water line. You can usually see a bit of water spray coming out along with the exhaust. Maybe somebody who personally owns one of these motors can answer this question better though.
Good luck."

wayne is right and the amount

wayne is right and the amount of water isnt much. it comes out the exhaust and 2 little holes above the water line. it keeps the bottom end cool.

"thanks for the info, one more

"thanks for the info, one more question(Im full of them)How much grease in the bottom end???"

"Assuming your seals are still

"Assuming your seals are still fine in the bottom end, you will fill it with SAE 90 outboard gear oil. Completely drain the old oil out and look for contamination. If it looks milky you have water getting in and need to replace the seals. You will have two screws. On that motor there is one lower on the gear housing below the rounded area, and another on the other side above the rounded area. Fill from the bottom until oil comes out the top. Put the top screw in, and quickly put the bottom screw in."

"thanks Wayne I appreciate the

"thanks Wayne I appreciate the help.
happy.gif
"

I have a 3.5hp labeled as a J

I have a 3.5hp labeled as a J C Penney. The mechanic is telling me it needs a new carb. Any chance of finding a carb for this? Thanks.

joe try looking for the parts

joe try looking for the parts to rebuild it instead of looking for a new carb. you will probally have better luck. try ebay

"I appreciate the responses.

"I appreciate the responses. Is JC Penney the same as Eska, for parts purposes? Another post said the powerheads were manufactured by Tecumseh. I found this carb kit through Brix Enterprises, the parts look similar to mine, but I can't tell for certain. The ebay item was no longer available.
http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/eskaprop.htm"

eska made motors for a number

eska made motors for a number of different companies and tecumseh was one of the power heads they used.

"Is anyone interested in purch

"Is anyone interested in purchasing my 1971 Eska 1703 C? It runs good, has a completely new carburator. The reason for selling is my sons simply don't have the strenghth to pull start. If interested reply to this post with phone number etc. $150.00 would break even for me
scott"

Thanks. I'll try ordering

Thanks. I'll try ordering the carb kit from Brix and see what happens with it.

Wayne finally got My eska 7.5.

Wayne finally got My eska 7.5. I starts fine and goes in gear fine. At full throttle it bogs down and revs up and down. Is that gas or carb? Air seams fine. One other ? is I have small leak in bottom seal by propeller. Is that a major issue or not? If anyone has input it is greatly appreciated.

"Chances are that the revving

"Chances are that the revving up and down is something to do with the carb. I don't really remember your situation, sorry. Make sure you have the proper fuel mixture and the motor is spitting some water. As for the leak in the bottom end, I don't recommend you keep running it like that. Any water that gets in the bottom displaces the gear oil and allows things to wear out quicker than necessary. If there is water in the bottom and it freezes, it will crack the housing. Even worse, you are leaking oil into the water where you are trying to catch your fish."

"Hello everyone. I was wonderi

"Hello everyone. I was wondering If anyone could give some advice. I found a 7.5 johnson AD-10. I guess its a 56. The owner says it runs but doesn't pump water. Is this worth $50 and does it have a bad water pump. I haven't found too much info on this motor. I have a 3hp gamefisher, 7hp eska Will this be much better or not really worth it."

Go for the johnson. Great litt

Go for the johnson. Great little twin. Do compression test first. You will have so much fun with that little johnson compared to sitting next to a lawnmower all day.

"I have a 7.5 HP Eska with jus

"I have a 7.5 HP Eska with just Forward and Neutral.

When in gear with the prop off, I can hold the drive shaft and keep it from turning.

I assume there's a problem with the clutch or a gear.

I can't remove the column from the engine after removing the six (6) screws.

Any ideas?

Dale"

"unless the engine is running,

"unless the engine is running, the wire wound bendix type of trans will slip. If the power head will only come up a little, you have a stuck drive shaft. Don't force it ---yet--- as you may damage the clutch wich sells for more than the motor."

Hi all need some help, I recently bought a 1970 1703B 3.5 hp ESKA motor I need to find a replacement gas tank, but do not want to use an external tank, would like to keep it as original as possible, where can I find items for this model

Back