Logo

LM340 major cooling system leak

"Engine is running strong - ha

"Engine is running strong - had it out running today (18' Resorter). As I was returning to the dock I caught a wiff of an overheating smell - temp gauge was at 140. Opened the engine box and found water being slung up by the flywheel over everything. Shut the motor down and noticed that the bilge was full.

Now my question. What is in the flywheel bell housing that could produce such a massive leak? Is there a freeze plug back there? No water in the oil and, cept for the giant leak, engine was running great. Any insight would be appreciated."

"Did you put the bilge plugs i

"Did you put the bilge plugs in before you launched? Many of us have made that mistake.

The flywheel might just be flinging the water coming from in from some other point.

Check the exhaust. Is water being pumped out with the exhaust?

Check the freeze plugs in the block. You might have popped one out over the winter. If so, do a leakdown test to see if the block is cracked."

Got it fixed this weekend. Th

Got it fixed this weekend. There are two 1 5/8 brass freeze plugs in the block in behind the flywheel. Replaced the "missing" one and knocked out and replaced the other one so I wouldn't have to get back in there again. Took about 6 hours to get to them and about ten minutes to replaced them.

"Cross your fingers and hope t

"Cross your fingers and hope that the freeze didn't crack the block. A week antifreeze mixture will semi-freeze like a slushy. Theoretically, it can push out the freeze plugs but not crack the block because it "flows".
Look for water in the oil."

Back