Logo

95 Suzuki DT15 backfire

J

Jack Dalton

"I have recently aquired a 2nd

"I have recently aquired a 2nd-hand 1995 15HP 2stroke suzuki.

During a boat test today I noticed a very loud bang / boom when accelerating up onto plane. It would only do this once each time - after i had switched the engine off then restarted it again, after periods of idle without turning the engine off it wouldnt happen. This scared the heck out of me as it was very loud and could be felt through the boat. Apart from the initial backfires the engine seemed to run fine.

Am I right in thinking this is a backfire? If not what could cause this to happen and what are my possible courses of action?

Thanks."

Do you mean it could be jumpin

Do you mean it could be jumping out of and back into gear under load? :/ bugger

"So i read up about clutch dog

"So i read up about clutch dogs and forward & reverse gears etc. If the forward gear and dog are worn, are the forward & reverse gear for a 1995 DT15 interchangeable and is the clutch dog reversible? Or am i looking at replacement parts here?

thanks,
Jack"

"Having read elsewhere of a si

"Having read elsewhere of a similar problem being caused by faulty spark plugs I changed the plugs (as a cheap - I hope this fixes it measure) and tested the engine yesterday. Initial findings indicate the problem (most likely being a backfire) has gone. Yay for new spark plugs. Thx for ur help justintime. As i said it seems to have gone - but if it happens again - ill know its in the lower unit.
Cheers,
JD"

Back