Logo

Oil pressure drop

barry_w

I have a 2004 Formula 370SS wi

I have a 2004 Formula 370SS with twin Merc 496 MAG'S. Since my last oil change my port engine oil pessure drops from 40 psi to 20 psi after running at 3400 rpm's for about 15 seconds. When the pressure drops the alarm sounds. Immediately upon pulling the throttles back to idle the oil pressure jumps back up to 40psi and the alarm stops. The dipstick shows the oil level at the high end of the "ok" range. Any suggestions?

Are the motors stock? A Hi-Vol

Are the motors stock? A Hi-Volume pump could cause it.Sucks all the oil from the stock capacity oil pan.

They are stock HO's. The 4

They are stock HO's. The 425 HP version. We have a lot of no wake zones here in South Florida so they do a lot of idling.

"When /if you changed the oil

"When /if you changed the oil , how much was put in disregarding the dip stick.and do you have the remote oil filter setup.
Bad sensor, check actual pressure with a mech. type gauge."

I did not personally change th

I did not personally change the oil so I am not sure of the exact amount that was put in. The oil filter sits inverted high on the port side of the engine.

"Swap pressure oil senders w/t

"Swap pressure oil senders w/the other engine; if it follows the sender, replace it."

"You may also have toooo much

"You may also have toooo much oil in the motor. the oil could be getting up to the crank, crank is wipping the oil into a foam and causing the oil pressure to drop...

I have seen this happen.
Just do another oil change and be sure of the oil level. hope this helps."

Back