Logo

Play is power steering

wellcraftnova230

Contributing Member
"Hello All,
When testing

"Hello All,
When testing my "new" 82' Wellcraft 5.7L w/ pre alpha drive, I noticed about a 1/8 turn of play in the steering at lower speeds. It made it difficult to keep a strait line. I have read that it could be a gimbal ring problem since they wear out. Is there any other thing this play could result from? Could the steering shaft on the top of the gimbal be tightened in any way to take out some play? Thanks, Jon"

There is the gimbal ring to st

There is the gimbal ring to steering shaft that could have play. That you can tighten from outside the boat. If the bolts are tight and there is still play the gimbal ring is junk. Other than that the steering lever could be loose. This you can't tighten with out removing the gimbal housing. Is the steering stiff to turn. Most of them that vintage end up getting a steering cable by now.
Good luck.

How do I tighten the gimbal ri

How do I tighten the gimbal ring to steering shaft bolts from outside of the boat? The steering works very well and smooth besides that play which makes it a bear keeping the boat on track at low speeds. Thanks Jon

"You need to Drill Big Holes i

"You need to Drill Big Holes in the Transom Shield to tighten that Nut.... The "Kit" comes with Big Plastic Plugs to close the Holes.......

Another Thing,..........
V-hulled boats tend to Wander from side to side at Idle/Trolling Speeds.......

I'm betting atleast Some of your Problem is Just the Way It Is............"

"Hold on Bondo, He is talking

"Hold on Bondo, He is talking about the gimbal ring to steering shaft bolts. There are two and they are at the top of the gimbal ring. You have to put a offset 12pt wrench in behind the gimbal ring to hold the nut. Torque the bolts from the outside 50 ft lbs. This area always loosens and should be checked every few seasons.

If the steering lever is loose, yes you can service it from outside by purchasing the hole plug kit and drilling the holes in the gimbal housing. Get a manual if you attempt that."

"Jon
You could have low speed

"Jon
You could have low speed walk which is just normal for that boat. This condition is annoying at low speed and goes away as you speed up. What happened it they didn't get the engineering all right. rudder size, boat lenght, this may be a problem you just have to put up with. A pal of mine has a nice 22 footer that does the same thing. Check with other owners before you do anything. It just may be a normal condition for your boat"

Back