Logo

KAD32 Power Loss

gnatsum351

"I have a problem with my KAD3

"I have a problem with my KAD32. It has only 78hrs use and was serviced at 50hrs. It ran fine until this problem happened. The problem first happened out at sea when accelerating hard. The engine suddenly lost power and we limped home never exceeding 2200 rpm.

On starting, the engine will rev to 3800rpm at wide open throttle(WOT).The compressor comes in and then out as turbo takes over, and all sounds fine. If the engine is left running at WOT or the throttle is reduced until the compressor restarts, then the engine will not regain power above between 2200 to 2600 rpm. It will also not rev to above about 2200 if restarted.
On a couple of occassions whilst at 3800rpm WOT a puff of white smoke has come out of the exhaust then the engine losses power.

The engine seems to 'reset' itself on some occasions. If I switch the engine off, wait and thenrestart it will on about 1 in 5 occassions rev up to 3800rpm but will then lose power and settle at 2200 - 2600rpm.
The oil pressure is reading fine as is temperature.

Any ideas?

I have done the following to try and fix the problem but nothing has changed.

Replaced all the drive belts.
Replaced the primary and fine diesel filters twice and stripped and cleaned out the primary filter.
Replaced the air filter.
Bled the fuel system.
Replaced the impeller.

}}
Can anyone help please ?"

"Almost sounds like you are l

"Almost sounds like you are loseing a cylinder, or have turbo problems.
would sudjest start with a visual inspection of turbo blades, look for broken or bent blades also end play ,side to side play and check for any binding in the bearings.
If all is fine there the next step would be a compression test and get your injector`s tested
best luck"

Back