Logo

50HP Johnson Power Pack test

j_narus

"Hi I was hoping someone could

"Hi I was hoping someone could give me a few minutes of your time. My Buddy and I have a 50 HP johnson Loop Charge outboard motor [Model; 50ESL72-C] We got this motor a few years ago and found a used starter for it and got it running by cleaning the 2 carbs. It ran pretty good but didn't use it and realized it was going to need a carb kit. This year we completly cleaned the carbs (like brand spanking new) and added the new kit. Then the starter died and I resodered a brush wire that came off inside the starter. Then we found we had no spark with new plugs. We took off the fly wheel and found nothing of consern. His boss had a manual for 70 Hp and up, but it was talking about using a neon tester. Is that the same as a light tester? We did some omhing and things were good. Now we thought that the wire to the ignition switch was suppose to send power to the power pack but after finding this web site i now realize we may of burnt up the power pack! We took the wire off and put power to it real quick and we had spark, but most likely because we diconnected the cut out wire. We hooked it up with a swith for now and left it and the next week tried it and no spark and that is where we are now .
So i am assuming that we may have a bad pack now. So how do we test the power pack? Can we use a regular light tester or meter instead of that neon tester? Are the Power packs tough to get now? Before we go back to work on it I was hoping to be prepared. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the time."

"u r in luck,...me and about 5

"u r in luck,...me and about 5 other guys,of which,i would love to meet,..have 30 plus yrs,...wking on your eng.....
forget the neon tester.........disc the blk/yell wire on the pack,..crank.....fire now.....bad sw,wiring......no fire......95% chance bad pack--make sure u have no voltage on blk/yell w sw in 'ON' pos.
now,......saying all this........
......your other electrics should be ck'ed out per the factory service manual."

Hey Thanks for the response jw

Hey Thanks for the response jwb! Sounds like it usually an easy dianostic. So if i find it doesn't fire are the power packs tough to find say at most marine parts stores or usually have to order.

Back