Logo

440 carbintake problems

gatorboy

"Last year I bought a 72'C

"Last year I bought a 72'Century Arabian, it ran fine except it would bog out and stall when trying to pull a skier---I had to jockey the throttle to prevent that, but once above 1500rpm it ran fine
I take it to a mechanic this year, he tells me that the Holley carb 750cfm(he said Holley's are good if they run all the time but not if they sit) that is on it should be changed back to the original Carter and original intake----which the guy I bought it off of said he had. I got the Carter (600cfm), it is in good condition and the mechanic replaced it---it is still doing the same thing, so he asked for the original intake because he said the engine is getting to much air, it has a racing manifold on it now. I asked the guy I bought it off of for the intake,and he told me my mechanic is full of it----who is right."

"I think you need to find a ne

"I think you need to find a new mechanic.
A "racing" intake is not going to affect the engine at lower RPM's. It will allow more air at higher RPM's. All of the air must pass through the venturi of the carb. That's the narrowest point. The Carter AFB is easy to tune and easy to change metering rods if you need to. But I would look elsewhere. It could be a vaccum leak, fuel pump, worn cam or electrical problem."

I spoke to the mechanic again

I spoke to the mechanic again and he said that the intake that is on it is a single-plane for 2700-7000rpm----could this problem have anything to do with air flow and volume since it is not a dual-plane intake and that's why the problems occur?

"Another brilliant "Jeff&#

"Another brilliant "Jeff" on this board! (I might fionally be able to retire.) Your "mechanic" is dead wrong, for your problem is merely a low output accelerator pump. Either it's not on the full rich setting, or it's in need of repair.

Check the linkage arm to the pump. The link arm should be in the hole closest to the carb body. That gives it the biggest shot.

The Other Jeff"

"Ok guys this is what I was to

"Ok guys this is what I was told-First he rebuilt the carb including replacing what was needed for the accelerator pump-he said YES it does act just like a accelerator pump problem--but the issue is the air is sitting in there like it's in a big "ballroom"and not getting down to the cylinder heads fast enough
I asked him if it is the difference between a single plane intake vs. the original dual plane---he said yes because this intake is meant to run WOT and when your down around 800rpm trying to pull a skier with a dual plane intake the passages are smaller therefore the air gets there quicker
I guess the way I am picturing it is if you put your thumb over the end of a garden hose the water,..... well you know!"

"The intake has nothing to do

"The intake has nothing to do with a bogging problem. One makes different power than the other, but neither should bog when the throttle is cracked. The accelerator pump is not working properly.

Jeff"

"Hi Chris,

For what it'

"Hi Chris,

For what it's worth I've been running a 440 with an Idlebrock performer intake for 3 years now and have not had any bogging problems. I am not sure whether it is a single plane or dual plane, could find out if needed. I have also just upgraded to a larger Idelbrock carb and have the original 600 cfm Carter AFB which has been rebuilt and is working fine ( if required ). I could check with a friend later, he is an engine guru and could possibly know about your bogging problem with relations to single plane and dual plane intake manifolds.

Jim Dickson"

"Thanks Jim, I have been looki

"Thanks Jim, I have been looking @ intakes online to purchase and the Edelbrock performer 2191 looks like the way to go. The guy I bought the boat off of can't find the original so I'm just waiting for the mechanic to tell me what to buy. I also spoke to someone @ Hurrikain Marine and they said based on what I told them the mechanic is probably right----We'll see if it's a $200.00 gamble and it pays off?"

"Hi Chris,

I just dug back

"Hi Chris,

I just dug back in my records and it is an Edelbrock 2191 manifold that I have been running for the past 3 years. I have been using the 600 cfm carb and haven't had a bogging problem at all.
I spoke to my guru and he did confirm that a single plane could cause a bogging problem over the dual plane. He also said that it could possibly be a carb problem as well but if you changed carbs and still had the problem it sounds like it is not carb related. He also said that it could be ignition related if the spark advance is not coming on, I think you are on the right track though with the inake manifold, if that solves the problem it might be worth reinstalling the 750 Holley for a little more performance.

Jim"

It's either the accelerato

It's either the accelerator pump or possible bad ignition advance. THe intake design has NOTHING to do with yopur bogging problem.

Jeff

Back