Logo

Leaking 95 Bass Tracker

marks_issue

"I've noticed a significan

"I've noticed a significant leak in my 1995 185 Pro Team bass tracker. It looks like I have a couple rivets leaking. After taking my boat off the lake and parking it in my garage there are a couple of rivets that drip water. If I'm on the water for about an hour water will start to come up through the drains in the floor of the boat. Can rivets cause that big of leak and if so, how can fix the leaking rivets on my boat?
Please help."

"Ayuh,......

Any hole in yo

"Ayuh,......

Any hole in your boat will Leak......

I have a Starcraft with the same problems, at times....
I repair it by drilling out the offending rivets,+ installing Closed-end Pop-rivets......"

"Two methods I've used is

"Two methods I've used is 1- have someone hold a solid piece of meta firmly against the rivet from the exterior, and flatten the rivet with a hammer from the interior 2- use products called JB Weld on rivots to seal, or a urethane based sealer ( get it at glass shops) to seal. Sealer are not pretty, but they work. Good Luck"

"The proper repair is to remov

"The proper repair is to remove the old rived, if you have enlarged the hole while drilling, you will need an oversized replacement rivet. With an air hammer on the outside and a steel backing block on the inside, at 110 psi, flatten the rivet. No sealant is used as it only allows for movement in the rivet, which will again leak and pop.

Make sure you get the rivets from the boat manufacturer or a supplier who can match the alloy to that of the boat otherwise galvanic corrosion will occur.

Understanding that most boats do not allow access to the inside part of the rivet without some disassembly of the boat, most people don't go through the effort to fix them correctly. In this case, a temporary repair, such as Bondo described will work but the blind rivets are not nearly as strong as a solid rivet and they will fail again.

Good luck
Rick
(25 years as Starcraft's Northeast service center)"

Back