Logo

Leaking trim system

J

Joshua Phillips

" Folks,
I have a '92 A

" Folks,
I have a '92 Alpha I that has a leaking trim system. While cruising I have to periodically raise the trim to the original setting. I'm not losing and fluid so it appears that somewhere in the system a seal or valve is leaking. How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,
Josh "

"Hello Josh,

Usually, there

"Hello Josh,

Usually, there are only two reasons for the condition you describe. As long as there are no leaks -
(1) Air in system or
(2) Dirt or an obstruction in the shuttle valve (Poppet Valve)in the trim motor pump

The remedy per the Merc Manual is to "Check for dirt. Install poppet valve."

Hope this helps,
Enjoy Life ... Have Fun!

Tom Pickens
810-323-0180 ICQ124864223
[email protected]

I'm building my ebusiness helping others
Eliminate Debt, Reduce Taxes and Succeed
with an ebusiness of their own.

P.S. How about YOU? Have you ever thought
about owning a Home-Based, Completely Automated
ebusiness system with a product everyone NEEDS?
For Your FREE Report:
http://www.retirequickly.com/43565"

" Tom,
Thank you for the qu

" Tom,
Thank you for the quick response, it looks like I need to flush the system and check for dirt. Should the poppet valve need replacement can you reference a part number? I cannot find such a part in the parts manual.

Thanks,
Josh "

"Hi Josh,

Sorry, I don'

"Hi Josh,

Sorry, I don't have a part number handy but I'm sure the good folks here at MarineEngine.com can help you out.

Enjoy Life ... Have Fun!

Tom Pickens
810-323-0180 ICQ124864223
[email protected]

I'm building my ebusiness helping others
Eliminate Debt, Reduce Taxes and Succeed
with an ebusiness of their own.
http://www.retirequickly.com/43565"

" Josh, There is another poss

" Josh, There is another possibility. Fluid could be leaking past the seals on the trim cylinder pistons. I have not seen this on Mercruiser, but my old merc outboard gets this occasionally. The fix is to either replace the teflon seal in the trim cylinder, or replace the trim cylinders (in my case I get used cylinders for the same price as the repair $75). The only way to isolate the problem is to disconnect one cylinder, plug the holes, lift the trim and wait for it to leak down. Don't use power of course. If it leaks down, try the other cylinder. If that leaks down, then it could be the poppet valves. "

Back