Logo

Lower unit seals

spdrcr03

"1974 Mercurt 650 65hp. I just

"1974 Mercurt 650 65hp. I just switched out the impeller on the lower unit and decided that I probably need to replace my prop seal as well. all of my oil leaked out from around the base of the prop.

I was wondering how difficult it is to change a prop seal, I look at my manual and there are many small parts that could be lost or damaged.

The impeller looked the same way and it was easy enough, does the prop seal pose any major challenges for me?I have basic mechanical knowledge and some patience.

16761.jpg
"

"Piece of cake--if you're

"Piece of cake--if you're careful. All that confusing mess of parts stays on the prop shaft. The bearing retaining piece is what holds the seal. Remove the nut behind the prop (you may need to make/ borrow a wrench), pull the prop shaft out (use a slide hammer) and remove the bearing retainer. Change the seal, grease the shaft, and reassemble.

It's easier to do than to describe. Honestly.

Jeff

Try oldmercs.com for the seal."

"Thanks, do you suppose I shou

"Thanks, do you suppose I should go ahead and change all of the seals on the lower unit? I have not seen any other leaks besides at the base of the prop. My dad always said if it aint broke don't fix it. What do you think?"

Back