Logo

b85 Merc Inline 6 90hp problems

mako34

"Hello, I recently purchased a

"Hello, I recently purchased a boat with this motor and the person I bought from claimed that he thinks the stator or trigger is going bad. The engine appears to 'miss' through out the RPM cycle and takes a 10-20min fast idle to allow it to hold idle (barely). Im a computer engineer, no prior outboard mechanic skills but I did come across a site explaining how to run a stator and trigger test and I did. For my model/hp/year motor the acceptable ohms resistance range is 5800-7000, and while my Blue/White reading was 6430, my Blue wire reading was 4180. Would a resistance of 1620 OFF of the low end resistance range be significant to cause the issues I stated above? The trigger and coil tests revealed readings within acceptable range.
mako"

"someone thinks" does

"someone thinks" does not work in trouble shooting.Remove the bypass covers inspect pistons and rings. I have heard of bleed inserts going missing on these motors as well. Compression test numbers are?

"Pete,

I don't think th

"Pete,

I don't think that the resistance reading in the stator, being off, would cause a miss. You have a low and high rpm winding in the stator. If one is malfunctioning, you would notice the engine dying completely at either low speed or high speed (above 1500 rpms).

I would suspect either the trigger or the switchbox.

If the problem is spark related, you should notice this when checking for spark. The spark should jump a gap of at least 7/16 in. and appear white.

If you find that there is no spark in one or more cylinders, you can usually determine what the problem is by swapping the primary coil leads first, then the trigger leads. By noting how the spark responds to this simple test you should be able to deduce which component is not working.

If the spark problem moves with the primary coil lead, you can rule out the ignition coil. If swapping leads from the trigger does not cause the problem to move, it is probaly the switchbox.

Tony"

Back