Logo

Internal parts swap

D

Dawggy Stile

"What steps should I take to p

"What steps should I take to protect my internal parts from corrosion when I take them out of old block? Due to space limitations and time I need to take the pistons, crank and cam out before I get the new block machined.
I was thinking a good coating of oil on everything then wrap in plastic.
Thanks for any feedback."

"A light coat of oil ought to

"A light coat of oil ought to do it. I like to use zip lock bags, and wrap the critical surfaces in paper towels to protect them from banging around. If you have a lot of parts, this also makes labeling the bags with a sharpie pretty easy.
The zip lock bag thing is something I got used to doing while on the submarines. If you drop a 9/16" nut from engineroom upper level... well, let's just say you'll spend some time looking for it... the ricochet effect can be pretty impressive!
Leaving it in the bilge and getting another one isn't an option. If the nut is in a gallon size zip lock bag when you drop it, it doesn't bounce around and it sticks out a lot better."

One of the Marine fogging oils

One of the Marine fogging oils that have evaporating carrier and almost parafin base really work well.

Bob

I've got the zip lock bag

I've got the zip lock bag deal down with the nuts and bolts already...time to go buy the big bags now.
Thanks for the help!

I use spray grease. Comes in

I use spray grease. Comes in a spray can (any good auto store). Easy to use and it lasts for years.

Jeff

Back